Author Topic: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality  (Read 68337 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality
« Reply #270 on: December 05, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
I just don't understand how Gibson could ship a bass with mixed hardware like that. Who thought that was a good idea?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #271 on: December 05, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
I dunno about that, but everything chrome always pitts eventually barring meticulous care, and to quote the internets: ain't nobody got time for that (when you have multiple basses, and guitars, and drums and cars and...).

Also too shiny; nickel is more (and here my communist upbringing rears it's ugly head) working man's chic.  I just like the look of it better (aalways have; Uwe your memory is failing..... though the bit about bondage was rememberd correctly, I have learned to like it in some cases... except cream; cream coloured plastic, whether pup surrounds or binding, always looks cheap to me).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:33 AM »
I just don't understand how Gibson could ship a bass with mixed hardware like that. Who thought that was a good idea?

Silly question. Gibson's decisions on material combination are not based on something as fickle as a "good idea", but on inventory necessities!

Besides, that bass is already now highly collectible. And in 20 years from now some kid on a forum will shoot off his mouth when he sees it on (Appl)e-Bay:

"That can't be original, they wouldn't have mixed chrome and black hardware, the seller is a liar."

And a twenty years older Dave W,

still quick and nimble on the touchscreen (one in midair - Minority Report style!),

even though eyesight isn't what it used to be, will answer:

"No, he's not. I've forgotten more things than you will probably ever learn or understand, but I recollect how they did ship some of those those out in a hardware material mix back then. And this isn't a matter of opinion either, there is only one set of facts. And I remember them all."  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:44:23 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #273 on: December 05, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »
And you don't even like bondage binding.

The hell I don't  ;)

You're such a tease  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
Whatever tick(le)s your box, Mark ...  8)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:38 PM »
Silly question. Gibson's decisions on material combination are not based on something as fickle as a "good idea", but on inventory necessities!

Besides, that bass is already now highly collectible. And in 20 years from now some kid on a forum will shoot off his mouth when he sees it on (Appl)e-Bay:

"That can't be original, they wouldn't have mixed chrome and black hardware, the seller is a liar."

Your scenario assumes anyone will ever think anything from 2012 by Gibson is collectible.

And it won't be "(Appl)e-Bay", more likely it will be someplace headquartered in China that only accepts yuan, which will have replaced the dollar and euro.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »
Didn't people think CBS-era Fenders were crap when they were new? Now look how much they are going for. Ridiculous.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2012, 01:43:50 PM »
Didn't people think CBS-era Fenders were crap when they were new? Now look how much they are going for. Ridiculous.

Naw, I pretty much don't like 7enders from any era, I'm an equal oppourtunity disliker  ;)

Don't get upset, just my .02.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
I just looked over there and found it. Bizarre that they shipped it with chrome bridge but black tuners.

Do you really think Gibson QC is that bad? It would be so easy to hoax this. Imagine some one who already has a Thunderbird or two, maybe some spare parts, gets a new Thunderbird and sees "Hardware - Chrome" on the box. Wanting to change strings anyway, takes an extra minute to toss on the chrome 3 point that he already had. Instant conversation piece.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2012, 02:48:01 PM »

The fellow that got that one has a couple of 'Birds, but they're newer Reverses with black hardware - FWIW I think it's something that was done on a whim when the bass was assembled.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
Call me skeptical. I just think it is more likely that someone would prank the TB community than someone at Gibson do it on a whim, and Gibson QC pass it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »
I'd deem it collectible! Cock-ups (I use the term in all innocence) like that are nice. For years, my old record shop had DP's Come Taste the Band as a gatefold with the pics from the Machine Head gatefold inside (or the other way around, I forgot). Always wanted to buy it for my DP vinyl collection (though I had both albums several times over) and then one day it was gone! Darn. I also have a Shades of Deep Purple reissue which featured the originally intended cover

When the album was rereleaased on vinyl in the nineties, some dope in the archives mistook the projected sleeve for the original one and for about a week Virgin and HMV sold Shades of DP with that cover before someone noticed and all the records were returned, the sleeves (much cooler than the original release)

going into the shredder. Now highly collectible and I have one, yeah!

A TBird with a factory botched material mix I would take over a "correct" one anyday. If one of you guys was the owner, you would already have my offer on the table.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:21:50 AM by uwe »

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:54 PM »
When I bought Deep Purple's Made In Europe back in the mid 70's I was surprised to find inside the Richard Pryor Bicentennial Ni**er record instead!!  (they were both released the same year and also on Warner Brothers in the US)  I had a really tough time trying to explain to the clerk that it was how it came from the store.  I also have a Rolling Stones Now LP that has the same label (Side A I think) on both sides of the LP. 

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2012, 06:35:14 PM »
I'd deem it collectible! Cock-ups (I use the term in all innocence) like that are nice.

Give me a week and I'll have one too. :mrgreen:

These are just as collectable as D-Day painted GI helmets but a lot easier to fake.

Anybody have a chrome 3 point they want to sell?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
Give me a week and I'll have one too. :mrgreen:

These are just as collectable as D-Day painted GI helmets but a lot easier to fake.

Anybody have a chrome 3 point they want to sell?

Now what are you going to do if you get a mismatched one from the factory?  Better document yourself opening the package or no one will believe it! ;D