Author Topic: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality  (Read 67378 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
  After 44 years Gibson finally revisits the NR. I am compelled to buy one just because. I expect it will be on par sound with the Studio versions of the Thunderbird but it will have the all important access to the upper register! I will see how I like it if it warrants it I'll put one Thunderbucker in the neck and chrome it out. If I don't like it I'll flog it on fleabay and buy another Cataldo.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Picky, spiteful girl!

Somebody has to hoist the flag of good taste here  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Hoiserie what?! Will you for once leave your choice of undergarments out of this?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 04:10:27 PM »
Black three point.   :rolleyes:

Gahh!  Gibson FAIL  ???
Digresion our specialty!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
Well, I am looking forward to it. I never had a chance to even see a Thunderbird Studio but I always wanted to, and if they were offered in Pelham I might have made an effort. I never really cared for the reverse body style either. Black hardware is OK with me too, as is the three-point. I'd rather have a bass that I can afford to buy rather than a picture of a period correct reissue that I couldn't afford.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:14 AM »
Amen! Down with purism and the Chrome Klux Klan. Anoint the three-point!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 08:34:56 AM »
I reckon the 2 point is one of the defining factors of the NR.  Booooo  :P
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »

I seriously doubt they have the original 60s tooling for separate bass bridge and tailpiece, otherwise they would have used it before now. They would need to invest in new tooling or buy from an outside source. Retooling for the bass department isn't likely for Gibson at this time. We know they will buy from an outside source at the right price. Maybe they felt it wasn't practical at this price point.

I'd rather see a Babicz bridge ( as on "The EB" that's coming out) than a three-point. Just as far from tradition as the three-point, but IMHO a much better bridge.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »
Define "far from tradition" - the 3 point was introduced in 1973 and has been in continuous service longer than any other bridge. Except for a phase in the mid eighties - post-RD and pre-TB reissue - it was always employed. It's a Gibson tradition and btw you can intonate correctly with it too, unlike the early TB bridges.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »

I think it is actually a conscious design decision to keep Gibson TBird hardware black. It does have its fans, you know.

They use a two piece setup on the current LP so it's not like they couldn't do it here. I'm thinking Uwe's earlier conjecture makes the most sense. The body may hearken back to the original but the rest of it (including headstock) is an update based on Gibson's current ideas. The black hardware marks it as a present day bird.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »

Present day my ass!

Leftover black hardware from the '80s!?   ;)

I just have the feeling this isn't going to please either camp - modernist or tradionalist.

I'll ride the fence...............kinda like my sexuality, grass is green on both sides  ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Ruddy painful if it's a pickett fence... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »
As long as the hardware isn't pink, I bas(s)ically don't give a rat's ass. And even pink could look interesting on an all-black bass. Neon-pink with matching DR strings.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
Never mind the fin... feel the wood...

(after an expression in the "cutting" trade - never mind the quality, feel the width... ;))

How many "new" Gibson's have there been in the last twelve months - is this going to be a record "year" ...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 03:55:34 PM »
Define "far from tradition" - the 3 point was introduced in 1973 and has been in continuous service longer than any other bridge. Except for a phase in the mid eighties - post-RD and pre-TB reissue - it was always employed. It's a Gibson tradition and btw you can intonate correctly with it too, unlike the early TB bridges.

Okay, okay, it's been around a long time, that makes it a tradition for better or worse. You know what I mean, though: the original NRs didn't have it.

Gibson had other guitar bridges in the 70s. They had no problem going back to the original styles on the guitars. We all know that basses don't have that priority under the present ownership.