Author Topic: What are the odds  (Read 1331 times)

ilan

• View Profile
What are the odds
« on: August 11, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »
So yesterday we're invited over to the neighbors to celebrate their son's 18th b-day and recovery from a serious head injury. The neighborhood kids are jamming on the lawn and I was asked to bring a bass and amp. So I decide to take the Gretsch. Then the kids pull their guitars out of the gig bags. Out comes a Tennessee Rose G5122 Electromatic, next a Synchromatic Junior Jet. Then I show them what I brought. 3 Gretsches, what are the odds?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:00:52 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: What are the odds
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:44:32 AM »
You either have some upscale neighborhood kids, or their parents are helping them step up to some very nice instruments!!

That is indeed a surprise...may never happen again!

My earlier band partners and I once did something like that - in this photo there are three black Gretsch instruments. Mine is my old 2202 solid body, so it was lowest on the $$ pecking order but it sounded great.

We all decided to bring these instruments to this particular gig on our own.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
Nice coincidence!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
You either have som upscale neighborhood kids, or their parents are helping them step up to some very nice instruments!!
That's a nice neighborhood but the Junior Jet was bought at a garage sale for $100...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:02:13 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:13:12 PM »
Pilgram, have you had a chance to compare your 2202 to the new line of Gretch sort scales?  I'm starting to see them in GC.  They no longer advertise the "TV Jones designed" pickup. But they've changed the body wood and possibly the neck as well.
Dyslexics untie!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:16:11 PM »
Pilgram, have you had a chance to compare your 2202 to the new line of Gretch sort scales?  I'm starting to see them in GC.  They no longer advertise the "TV Jones designed" pickup. But they've changed the body wood and possibly the neck as well.

I haven't.  I sold it when I got a hard-to-find dual pickup 1222 solid body.  I continue to read positive reviews and comments about the new single pickup model, but I haven't had the chance to try one or compare to it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."