Author Topic: Bass solos....  (Read 11908 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Bass solos....
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 08:19:10 AM »
One of my biggest influences as a bass player is David Gilmour!

Ha ha! Nice! Roger Waters once said, if he ever got an award for bass playing, he would give it to Gilmour.

Back to solos - ugh, I may be forced into it soon. Subbing with some local monster players, and I know the guy who's on his way out always does a solo. If it comes up, I'm going to suggest a good song with busy bass instead, like the Real Me, or Freewill or something. Or maybe some unison riffing with the guitarist, ala Vai/Sheehan. I'm close to nailing the (guitar) solo in Crazy Train. LOL!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
that little solo was nice but sounds composed.

That solo is a note for note copy of the original recording with Mo Foster on the fretless bass. It's on the album Victum Of The Future (starts at 3:15).

I don't have problem with composed solos. Sometimes they're like a song within a song.
But when people slavishly copy someone else's solo there's a chance it may get a little boring. (which IMHO was the case in this Gary Moore video)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »
That poor bassist didn't have a chance to vary! As did Mo Foster (whom I rate highly)

as the melody is/was composed by the late Herr Moore and he was always adamant that things are played his way (as many bassists with him - Neil Murray, Bob Daisley, Glenn Hughes to name but a few - have confirmed with a tired shrug). Still, bass solo is bass solo, guitarist-written or not! Most guitar solos are composed these days and nobody gives a flying f***.

My guess is though that Moore was more than a little inspired by what Roger Glover did on MWFT, 3.00:

He has meanwhile varied it somewhat and Herr Morse has given it a country influence too it, 3.08, diese Amerikaner:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:23:56 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
Chris White in The Zombies (UK) made quite an impact with his very short, melodic, and dynamic bass solo between first refrain, and second verse, in the bands first hit, She's not there. The two tones at the start of the song ain't to bad either! And the bass? Well, check and see, one more time for me, as The Marvelletes once put it!

I've always LOVED the bass part to this song. Great hook. Bass sort of reminds me of "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi.

Rod Argent is still my fave rock keyboardist.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
Great players are kind of always soloing. Even within the structure of a "bass line" there is alot of room to add variation upon themes. Seeing Phil Lesh's line for Scarlet Begonias in Bass Player illustrates this point. His playing still provides a foundation while at the same time adds rhythmic variation and makes room for melodic outbursts. Jamerson could also be very subtly nuanced in the way he put his lines together as well. Andy Fraser definitely never played the same lines over and over again. That's what separates good players from great ones. Jazz Rock our whatever category is irrelvant. It's all music.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
One of my favorites has to be David Marign's solo on the Marathon track "Runnin'".

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »
Roberto... welcome home...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...