Author Topic: Cry of Love  (Read 6112 times)

luve2fli

• View Profile
Cry of Love
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »
Why am I only discovering this band now?!? Anyone else familiar with their material? What a fantastic band, kind of a cross between The Black Crowes and Free with a dash of Hendrix for good measure. The original singer had a range to die for and Audley Freed is a killer guitarist. Shame they only lasted for 2 albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Love_(band)

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Cry of Love
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:50:56 AM »
Where's Rob?  You'll heard a lot from him.  I love this band!  Richard Kearn(?) is a really tasty bass player, and I thought the album I had was a strong album all across the board.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
Yeah, I figured Rob would be all over this - I think we were seperated at birth with regards to musical tastes.    :mrgreen:
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »
Love their albums, they were a breath of fresh air back when ! Got a boot with outtakes from Rob some years back ........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:42 AM »
Hey Guys, just got back from our holiday to Tunesia.

Yeah I'm a big Cry Of Love fan. They were an exceptional band of four very good musicians.
I do prefer their first album Brother. First and foremost because I like Kelly Holland better as a singer than Robert Mason.
Holland's singing is much more soulful and bluesy. But the second album is really cool too and Mason isn't a bad singer (but he doesn't have the Bon Scott meets Aretha voice that Holland has). The compositions are a little more complex on Diamonds & Debris.

It's a pity that Kelly Holland only got the chance to shine on this one album. After his departure from the band he joined a band called Crush as a drummer. They did covers as a house band in Raleigh. He was also a drummer in Vistalite, another cover band in Raleigh doing weddings and parties...
For a brief moment there was hope for some original material when he teamed up with old friend Rick Watson for the Sun Dog project. They published two songs on MySpace and CDBaby. But then they sunk back into oblivion.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/sundogmusic2

Robert P Kearns and Jason Patterson joined the Chris Duarte Group when COL disbanded.
But after some time Kearns left and joined The Bottle Rockets. After that he played bass for one of these slick Country singers whose name eludes me. After that he joined Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Jason Patterson retired from the music scene after he quit the Chris Duarte Group. But he got back behind the kit for work with Corrision Of Conformity and several Bluesbands.
From Blues rock to 40's style jumpblues. He's a real diverse musician. And an overall nice guy. He's the only one who ever replied any of my emails. The other COL guys couldn;t be bothered...

Audley Freed was hired by the Black Crowes after COL split. But they didn't give him any room to bring in his own ideas. He was only a hired gun. And among the Black Crowes fans there seems to be an ever ongoing feud about who was their better guitarist: Mark Ford or Audley Freed.
I really like both guitarists a lot.
After he quit Black Crowes he's been doing a lot of session work.
He toured with Peter Frampton, Jacob Dylan.
An interesting project was Job Cain with Alvin Youngblood Hart and fellow COL member Robert Kearns.

And he teamed up with ex Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies singer Mike Farris for Peaceful Knievel (with Andy Hess on bass!)

I put some videos on YouTube. Look up my Basvarken account and you can find some cool COL stuff

Here's a vid I made from a song from the Kelly Holland era. It's called No Redemption, it was never officially released:

I'd love to hear the demo tapes they did with Sass Jordan. I think they worked with her when Kelly had left the band and before they found Mason.
I got in touch once with their tourmanager Bob "Bobzilla" Davis who said he had the tapes at home. But when he got back home he said he couldn't find them...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:49:38 AM by Basvarken »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
Many people hear a whole lot of Free in Cry Of Love. Of course their song Bad Thing bears more than a little resemblance to both Free and Bad Co.
And Robert P Kearns his bass playing has the same melodic yet solid style that Andy Fraser had with Free.

But I really think there are lot more similarities with other bands. Although they're clearly an American band with Southern Rock style elements, most comparisons can be found in British acts such as Faces (especially Rod Stewart's singing), Robin Trower and Humble Pie!

Listen to RoadRunner by Humble Pie and compare that to Drive It Home by Cry Of Love:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:09:14 AM »
seems like black crowes have the same influences as cry of love.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:03:51 AM »
Yep, guess that's why the Robinson brothers hired Audley Freed. He seemed to be the perfect guy for the job.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
I just saw Lynyrd Skynyrd has a new bass player: Johnny Colt (ex Black Crowes, ex- Train) is now filling the spot.
Wonder what happened to Robert P Kearns? He isn't mentioned. Some press links that I found ignore him. They claim Colt fills in the gap that Evans left when he died in 2009... weird.

The good news is Audley Freed and Robert P Kearns are now in a new band called Big Hat!
Peter Stroud is also in that band. Another cool guitarist!

http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/9679971

reminds me (a lot) of Joe Walsh/James Gang  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:02:05 AM by Basvarken »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
Funny, I just scanned this last night.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »
So you saw them with Robert Mason! I only have one bootleg with Mason singing. All the other bootlegs are with Kelly Holland

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 02:49:42 PM »
Here's a recent video of Stroud/Freed/Kearns with Sheryl Crow doing a Linda Ronstadt song:

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 01:00:39 AM »
Here's a recent video of Stroud/Freed/Kearns with Sheryl Crow doing a Betty Everett song:

There, I fixed it .....  ;)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »
Well okay, actually a Clint Ballard song  ;)

(I've always liked Van Halen's take on this song too btw)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »
I know.... and the first version was Dee Dee Warwick's but I just hate Ronstadt's version ........  ;D