Author Topic: Reboot: Non Reverse Cataldo Bass  (Read 10706 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Reboot: Non Reverse Cataldo Bass
« on: July 12, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
After working with 2 different CNC guys in the midwest I'm back to doing everything in house.  Found a good supplier of genuine mahogany.  This is a 5/4, 14 3/4" x 42" board.

Tuned up the bandsaw with 1/2" wide 3 TPI Olson blade.

Titebonded the edges of the drawing to 1/2" MDF and carefully cut to the line and sanded smooth

I made a control cavity template last year with help from a tracing supplied by Scott, so I used it to route the template in the body.  The notch at the other end of the template is for routing truss rod adjustment slots

Cut a piece of 1/2" mdf to fit inside the cavity

Cut out the center using the bandsaw by making an entry cut.  Much easier than using the sabre saw, I finally realized that.  The right tool is a jig saw  but the band saw works OK for this.

Glued the cavity template to MDF and cut sanded it to fit in the template

Electronics holes get drilled thru the interior template, it gets removed and the cavity is routed.  Then the outside template is removed and the cover size route done.

Ready to be attached, perimeter roughed on the bandsaw and all routing done on the Onsrud overarm pin router

Routing, sanding to 180 and wash coat of sealer.  This one will be Frost Blue with ebony fretboard P width neck.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Reboot: Non Reverse Cataldo Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »
i'm glad everything is back in house Carlo. i have never had any problem with your quality from what i have seen and talking with you. this looks like its going to be a great build. if i could afford one i would want a 4 string NR ll raised center in BRG and Rosewood board with gold hardware. ;D ;D
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 11:53:49 AM »
  That looks great Carlo!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »
i'm glad everything is back in house Carlo. i have never had any problem with your quality from what i have seen and talking with you. this looks like its going to be a great build. if i could afford one i would want a 4 string NR ll raised center in BRG and Rosewood board with gold hardware. ;D ;D

Gold thunder buckers....yummy
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Carlo. Great stuff, as always.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 05:26:51 AM »
Thanks guys!  I don't know about the gold plating, I do have a standing order for an ExplorerBird with complete gold hardware so it may happen somewhere down the line.

This one gets an ebony fret board neck...actually a second ebony board since I bought a J neck instead of the P the customer ordered.  The NR in the background of my previous post has the Ebony J one, probably will be finned in Pelham Blue.  Any takers?

After a wash sealer coat the grain gets filled with drywall mud.  Water based, applied using a credit card as a squeegee.  Easy clean up and no possibly spontaneously combustible rags to dispose of.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »
 Check your inbox Carlo  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:53:21 AM »

After a wash sealer coat the grain gets filled with drywall mud.  Water based, applied using a credit card as a squeegee.  Easy clean up and no possibly spontaneously combustible rags to dispose of.

I think you have discovered the world's least expensive grain filler!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
I think you have discovered the world's least expensive grain filler!

I have a lifetime supply that's for sure!  I've done around 5 basses with it so far, the last one black on a very porous mahogany body and it came out great.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »
Nice work Carlo.

A good way to glue your templates to your wood is 77 Spray Adhesive.  Just spray the back of your paper, I have a pile of tracing paper but bond works too, until it's lightly and evenly coated and let it dry until it's just dry - maybe four minutes.  Blow the dust off of your wood and press the paper on - sticks well and peels off completely once your done - no residue.  I've been using the same can for about 5 years now.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 08:19:36 AM »
 I am pretty stoked I just got off the phone with Carlo I will be taking delivery of the ebony J neck NR. It will be done in Pelham Blue with matching headstock and the back of the neck, equipped with a Thunderbucker Max. This is going to be a KILLER bass :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
...A good way to glue your templates to your wood is 77 Spray Adhesive.  Just spray the back of your paper, I have a pile of tracing paper but bond works too, until it's lightly and evenly coated and let it dry until it's just dry - maybe four minutes.  Blow the dust off of your wood and press the paper on - sticks well and peels off completely once your done - no residue.  I've been using the same can for about 5 years now.

Definitely.  Thanks!

Filler block sanded with 320.  About 20 minutes work

2 full wet coats sanding sealer 2 minutes booth time, 10 minutes for flash off, 2 minutes more booth time.

That's Scott's bass in the background.  It's going to have Resolites if he approves, pretty close to original vintage reverses. D is the Reso.

Hoping to get first primer coat on this afternoon if the weather cooperates.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »
The Resos look fine :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
The Resos look fine :)

I've been saving them for a worthwhile project.  Looking forward to reshaping the Cataldo headstock as necessary.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
  Awesome! I am super excited!!!!!!! Geeze I have been looking at Hofners and even Fender Antigua P, WTF was I thinking the answer was right in front of me.