Author Topic: Someone doesn't care for Nickleback  (Read 6853 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Someone doesn't care for Nickleback
« on: June 09, 2012, 07:11:10 AM »
Okay, a lot of people don't care for Nickelback. Anyway, I LOL'ed at this.

http://www.eatliver.com/i.php?n=8983

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Someone doesn't care for Nickleback
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:22 AM »
He makes a good point.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »
wow. Idaho bringin' the Nicklehate.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
I think they are unreasonably villiefied and have certainly carved a sound that makes them immediately recognizable three seconds into a song, so there! I bought the last three Nickelbag CDs and listen to them too though some o f the lyrics (well, most of them) are inane.

I cannot see why the Foo Fighters are supposedly great and Nickelbag shite, their music sounds similar to me, Nickelbag's is just better produced and arranged. To me Nickelbag are a bit like the Grand Funk Railroad or Foghat (come to think of it, I could see Nickelbag doing a cover of Slow Ride anytime, the lyrics would fit too!) of the 21st century: Stadium crowd pleasers you cannot really admit to liking if you don't want to drop on the cool-o-meter. But try as I might I cannot find that their music is badly made or performed.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
All three of them are on my ipod...

I'm known for my kultural ekselence...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
AFAIK I've never heard Nickleback. I do know that people enjoy making fun of them. That's not quite the same as vilifying them.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:56:10 AM »
The criticism is often unduly harsh as if they are the worst rock capitalists in the world. I always thought Metallica hold that crown.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »
 I don't own any NB cds, they are not on my ipod. I don't get the bashing if you don't like the music move on. They are making money hand over fist, I am sure making much more than their detractors. A bit of envy maybe? All I know is I still have a day job, I'd trade places with their bass player in a heart beat. I suppose I'd have to build another BEAD Lowbird though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:30:14 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 06:33:21 AM »
The criticism is often unduly harsh as if they are the worst rock capitalists in the world. I always thought Metallica hold that crown.

I would have given that title to Kiss, or the Grateful Dead.

People always seem to lambast a band that finally made it.  Nickelback is no King Crimson, but they have a defineable sound, and they have made it work.  More power to them.  I don't hate them; I don't love them.  To me, they are another safe sounding band, that sells records and makes the record company smile.  It's a big risk to swerve from a success formula, and not many bands are willing to do that.  I love ZZ Top, but they don't vary their own formula too drastically, either.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:40:46 AM »
I think my disdain for them is rooted in two things. Their lyrics are dumber than most bands and they are way overplayed. If I didn't hear them constantly or have people telling me about what a great band they were then I would probably never think twice about them. To me they are the Adam Sandler of music. You do the same thing over and over and it doesn't get any better, but people will pay for it. There are worse rock bands for sure, but I don't have to hear them everywhere. I don't begrudge them their success, but I don't have to enjoy them either.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 08:00:51 AM »
I understand that their omnipresence must make them painful in the US, here in Germany the four Cannucks are viewed as largely a US phenomenon and only moderately popular. American grunge - Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains - was never huge here, so a band criticized for playing watered down grunge like Nickelbag doesn't automatically have a receptive market.

I guess they have taken the criticism of their lyrics as dumbly-misogynist a little to heart and now - albeit naively - try to better the world.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:09:46 AM by uwe »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
Lyrics...

"I... wanna rock-n-roll all nite, an' party every day..." (repeat until death)

opposite end of the scale...?

Anything by Springsteen...

Dave... you would have had a hard job avoiding the "Rock Star" song, but you might have got lucky... ;)

Over here, it is "traditional" for the popular-press to adore something on the way up, and be the first to kick the ladder away when they reach the top rung... everyone loves the underdog...

There is absolutely nothing special about Nickelback... average musicianship that just found a niche... I just checked the count on my itunes and my most played tracks are from the KPAX and Inception soundtracks, a Brian Eno tune (An Ending, Ascending); first "rock" song is Breath by Pearl Jam, having been played more than 10 times as frequently as any Nickelback song...

Every so often I load up someone and run through their catelogue from the start... I may be loading up Rush as I may get lucky this sunday with their new CD coming out this week...

How about slagging off Status Quo for becoming a pure parody of their very average 70's music... that would work... any of you understand it if I said SINGALONGAQUO...? ;D possibly the best way of explaining the British outlook for such things...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
I love ZZ Top, but they don't vary their own formula too drastically, either.

I love ZZ Top - before "Gimme All Your Lovin", which was the start of the same same formula.  Before then, awesomeness.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
I had a brief interest in Nickelback when I heard on the radio the first line to one of their songs - "I like your pants around your ankles".  But after the first verse I wanted to blast the radio with a shotgun.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
You want bad lyrics?  Try Linkin Park.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty