Author Topic: Orange Terror bass and Orange 115 cab  (Read 3502 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Orange Terror bass and Orange 115 cab
« on: June 08, 2012, 06:53:59 AM »
 The start of my small venue rig. The 115 cab came on Monday, sounds great full, warm and punchy I like it a lot. I am still deciding on a second cab either another 115 or some 12s to go with it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Orange Terror bass and Orange 115 cab
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:11 AM »
Great cab. Obviously a EV TL-606 clone. Terror Bass is a one trick pony, but it's a cool trick.  8)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:23:31 AM »
 It is a one trick pony but its my trick! Really nice thick full vintage style tone. It compares nicely to my Hiwatts and Marshalls.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
(I'm going to whisper it) (DR103S - 50w or 100w flavours... ;))

Do post something when you get to gig the wee beastie...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »
It is a one trick pony but its my trick!

And that's all that matters!

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »
Really?? Hiwatt comparison??? Hmmmm. Cool to know...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:41 AM »
Baz, It's tough to explain, the amp has a very British feel to it, not just tone. Most of these hybrid amps sound to modern to me, I found the Terror Bass to have that vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr in the notes played, it's a bit blurry not super tight sounding and I like that, not staccato punch/snap but lots of sustain especially on the D and G string. I like it you may not,  I am not saying that it is just like a Hiwatt but that it is a good stand in for my application.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:11 AM »
it's a bit blurry not super tight sounding and I like that, not staccato punch/snap

I would agree. I borrowed one for a few days and A/B-ed it with my SVT III, and I personally preferred the punch of the Ampeg. If I were still doing the dual rig clean/dirty thing, the Terror would be perfect for the dirty side.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Yeah Tom I was thinking the same thing perfect for a clean/dirty rig. Typical sound check for me with sound guy I have not worked with. I bang a steady beat on the E string, sound guy, um yeah thats ok .......................... now can I hear your clean sound. Me, that is my clean sound :rimshot:

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
Yeah Tom I was thinking the same thing perfect for a clean/dirty rig. Typical sound check for me with sound guy I have not worked with. I bang a steady beat on the E string, sound guy, um yeah thats ok .......................... now can I hear your clean sound. Me, that is my clean sound :rimshot:

Sounds like all my sound checks too. Except then I stomp on my dirt pedal and they usually go for DI box only out of the house PA.  :D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 07:26:49 AM »
I played the little beast when I was over at Scott's recently and it souinds sweet to me.  Full, beefy tone through a 15" cab.  I'd use one!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!