Author Topic: Hitting the road  (Read 2382 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Hitting the road
« on: May 31, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
Today my wife and I are moving my youngest daughter to Oklahoma for an 8-month professional internship.  She just finished her B.S. in Foods & Nutrition May 11 and wants to be come a registered dietician...the internship is the next step.

We have a 700-mile trip today and tomorrow, then will help her set up the apartment...then turn around Sunday and head home.  

She's a great young lady and I'm gonna miss her a lot.  I'm truly fortunate that both daughters went to college here in Fort Collins, so I've been able to enjoy their company on a regular basis.  But that time has come - it's her job to take the next step, and our job to support her.  

From left to right - youngest daughter Ali, my wife JoAnn, older daughter Liz.  The girls are only 13 months apart, and they're both fantastic people.  We're blessed.

Dad's gettin' misty over here.   :sad:  But it's time and things are going great.   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Hitting the road
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »
Safe travels and good fortunes for you all...

700 miles is more than the longest trip I've ever made here - a regular one is the route up to the ferry for the Island which is 670 ish
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »

Have a safe trip Al!

Congratulations to your daughter, kudos to you and your wife - the world needs more caring parents like you.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

Have a safe trip Al!

Congratulations to your daughter, kudos to you and your wife - the world needs more caring parents like you.

+1
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:48:06 AM »
I feel for you. It's hard to see your kids move far away from home.

Drive safely and remember, Oklahoma is OK. Not great, just OK.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:09:23 AM »
Have a safe trip. My daughter is talking about moving to Miami after she finishes college next year. I am not thrilled about that at all  >:(
It's hard not getting to see her as often as I would like and she is only 2 hrs away. It isn't easy letting them go, but I know that it is time for it to happen.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »
Congrats Al!

My daughter just graduted a week ago and will start on her masters in August.  Until she's finished she's here at home but then she's hell bent for leather to move to California - south of Yosmite.  At least it's not L.A.

I know you have to let them go - nothing says it has to be easy :sad:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
Made about 500 miles today - here's a photo somewhere in the wilds of Kansas...

We're driving the Murano and Ali has the 1991 Camaro convertible.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:48:47 PM »
That's about as scenic as you can get on the road in Kansas.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:23 AM »
Congrats. I know it's a bittersweet moment ,but life goes on bud. Enjoy the trip and enjoy the moment :).
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »
Hey Al, I remember the feelings when sending the kiddies off to Penn State and Clemson.  It's been 10 years since my daughter flew the coop and 6 for my son.  Wow, how time flies.  Thank heaven for Verizon family plans and Skype!  We knew when they left they would not come back to NY.  As much as we would love it, there's not much here for them professionally.  Good luck to you and your daughter!  Blessings and safe travels home too!

I don't know about you, but we live vicariously through our kids lives.  They live in unique places (Kansas and Virginia) and we get to travel a lot to see them.  Their jobs are very interesting and we love to learn about keeping aircraft carriers running and how Cargill supplies meat to McDonalds!  So, there is a bright side to their absence.

Hey Dave, Kansas may be flat, but the people there are spectacular and the Ag industry is alive and well!  Wichita is a bit sleepy, but it has everything one could want except up-to-the-minute fashion and top professional sports teams.  My daughter likes it, but misses St. Louis, her previous assignment.  That's a great town!   
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »
Well, we got the trailer unloaded in 2 hours flat...including humping all the stuff including a mega-heavy huge coffee table and sofa into an upstairs apt. Had dinner at the Branding Iron BBQ - dang, their smoked sausage is excellent!

It's 11:30 Central and we've been going since early.  Drove the last 200 miles this AM and am a long way to having boxes unpacked.  I spent part of the evening after the requisite Wally World run assembling a cabinet for the TV, setting up DVD and TV and programming a Harmony 650 remote to run the system. 

Tomorrow we'll have time to finish our part of the unpacking, take a look around town and get ready to leave Sunday AM.  That's when dad will get misty.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:07 AM »
Ah yes, the old misty-eyed retreat to the empty nest.  It goes away after a few weeks!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
The return trip was speedy!  We drove back in one day - 722 miles - and did it in 10 hours, 40 minutes.  According to the car computer, average speed when the key was on was 69.5 MPH.  I must say I was boogie'n across those wide-open roads in Oklahoma and Kansas where you can see 3 miles ahead.  Hit the Interstate (I-70) west of Hays KS and it was 80+ all the way home.

We're feeling good.  It hit me before we left that she was set - and she didn't need us there anymore.  She's getting it done by herself now, and we're a phone call away.  I feel good about having two smart, capable daughters.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »
Good parenting never goes out of style!