Author Topic: Flying V bass on the way :)  (Read 10740 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Flying V bass on the way :)
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
Tales from the crypt of Gibson quality control, sigh.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 10:24:50 PM »
Disappointing. Case damaged in shipment, the bass has a greasy film all over it (wtf?) defiantly a restock, case candy missing. And to top it off on the bass side of the neck where the neck and finger board meet the neck is thicker than the fingerboard, they are not flush. Back it goes

The last part is most disappointing. That's on Gibson, should never have left the factory.

Can't necessarily blame Gibson for the greasy film, it's a restock so who knows what the original owner did. Shame on MF for selling a restock as new and shipping it in that condition.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 06:09:54 AM »
i don't think you gibson guys should be surprised by anything anymore. sad really for such expensive instruments.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »
Disappointing. Case damaged in shipment, the bass has a greasy film all over it (wtf?) defiantly a restock, case candy missing. And to top it off on the bass side of the neck where the neck and finger board meet the neck is thicker than the fingerboard, they are not flush. Back it goes

Sorry to hear it!  The price of the instrument should be reflected by QC and the way it's packaged and shipped.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »
Sorry to hear it!  The price of the instrument should be reflected by QC and the way it's packaged and shipped.

Then a Gibson should cost less than a run of the mill SX.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »

Agreed, but it's not Gibson's fault that MF tried to foist a grease-covered restock on him. You know that happened after MF received it and sold it originally. And it's also likely that the case damage happened that way.

OTOH Gibson has no excuse for this:

And to top it off on the bass side of the neck where the neck and finger board meet the neck is thicker than the fingerboard, they are not flush.

With CNC, a screw-up like that is hard to accomplish. Somehow they managed to do it anyway. That's craftsmanship.  :rolleyes:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »

Scott, sorry to hear it was in such poor shape - hopefully there's another to take it's place.

It shouldn't have left Gibson with such poor construction - they CAN (if they wanted to) build nice instruments as I witnessed with the ones that passed thru my hands on their way to Uwe. They really need to have a better QC policy and stand by it. In my business (Lighting) I get more and more requests for U.S. made product (as opposed to China) and while it always costs more for a doemestic fixture, the quality is readily apparent. Gibson seemingly wants to get as much as they can out the door as cheaply as possible (and regardless of quality), it's Henry J's company, he's responsible and should fix it - effing shame  :-\
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
  MF is sending another one out, Hopefully it is a better example. Another thing is the finish on the back is very wavy, looks like a Bach but worse.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Just read this a TB

I Spoke Too Soon About the Flying V
I recently bought a Gibson Flying V Reissue and I was happy at first with it. It really did seem like a well made bass, but I started having problems with it. Little chunks of paint started flaking off in various spots on the body and I could not get the A string to intonate properly. <sigh>

I took it to a rehearsal a couple of times and just could not get over the problems with the A string. Then the paint started chipping off to the touch. That was enough for me and back it went.

Balance on the instrument was great and it had an overall good feel to it, but I feel silly touting the bass so highly only to find that it had problems that got me to a point where I needed to return it.

So now I am still looking around for a nice (preferably American-made) short scale bass around the same price point, but it is difficult to find one.

Maybe Fender could reissue an American-made Musicmaster bass with a better pickup, better truss rod access, and better bridge!

And Gibson looses another customer...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
 I'll give 'em one more chance if there are problems with the next one I'll just find something else to blow my money on.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
I'll just find something else to blow my money on.

Atta boy!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
I'll give 'em one more chance if there are problems with the next one I'll just find something else to blow my money on.

Hookers and Blow   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
Naw I'll leave that to J.A.E. may he R.I.P.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
I stopped by GC today and they had a worn/faded version of the Gibson Flying  V bass in red. They said it was an "in store only" model, and they had just sold a worn/faded version of an Explorer as well.  Played it for about 20 min through a BA115 and really loved the tone. Very old school and thumpy. And I was really surprised how much I liked it considering it was short scale. It didn't feel small or "toyish" like the SG Fireburst I had once. Seriously thinking of scratching together enough gear to trade in on it.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 07:30:45 AM »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023