Author Topic: Newer Ric necks  (Read 10855 times)

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Newer Ric necks
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 08:39:09 PM »
Not that i noticed.  What us it?

Mine had a very low output on the E string out of the box.  It took 2 luthiers to finally sort it out after I had been trying for months.  I have read on the Ric forum about this being quite a common problem on the newer ones.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2012, 12:55:45 AM »
What did the luthiers do to fix it?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »
Maybe I have a tin ear, but my e-string sounds fine to me.  No dead spots that I can detect.  Booms right out there.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »
Now and again I notice that the E on my '76 4001 is a little weak, but it doesn't bother me enough to try and change anything.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2012, 02:30:03 PM »
Mine had a very low output on the E string out of the box.  It took 2 luthiers to finally sort it out after I had been trying for months.  I have read on the Ric forum about this being quite a common problem on the newer ones.
Maybe I have a tin ear, but my e-string sounds fine to me.  No dead spots that I can detect.  Booms right out there.
Are we talking, dead spots or badly adjusted pickup poles and What Ric forum thread.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
I think the fix involved adjusting the pole pieces, action and also the twin truss rods.  I had tried all those options to no avail.
The guy who nailed it in the end isn't a pro luthier - rather a bass player friend from another forum that had a few Rics and knew the fix.
I can't recall the exact thread I was referencing - it was probably 4 or 5 years ago when I first got mine.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
Low E output has never been a widespread problem. No doubt it occasionally happens and no doubt it's frustrating if you happen to buy a bass with it, but it's not common.

I bought two new 4003s and one almost new one between the late 90s and about 2005, none of them had this problem.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:06 AM »
I think people have confused the low E output with incorrectly adjusted pole pieces, and I have read on a forum in UK where a guy had gone through many 4003 basses to get over his low E problem before purchase and then spreads a word on this ''common problem with Ric necks'' poor chap :rolleyes:.
     I haven't come across this ''problem'' personally, as it's not a problem with new 4003's as the poles are adjustable, but on the RIHS I have had to move magnets to get an even output.
     Problem is on a well set up neck and action, the E string is not in the radius of the other strings, it has to be set a little higher and most pups are set to a specific radius.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
My problem with my new 4003 is the RIC-brand truss rod wrench I own won't fit the nuts properly because the truss rod cavity is too shallow and there isn't enough room to slide the driver over the nuts!  Duh!  Other than that, all is well.

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »
My problem with my new 4003 is the RIC-brand truss rod wrench I own won't fit the nuts properly because the truss rod cavity is too shallow and there isn't enough room to slide the driver over the nuts!  Duh!  Other than that, all is well.

Yes, that's a problem, it's a tool that's not really needed and when you see someone prizing up the nuts on a 4001 to get the tool actually on, well you get you're bass right out of there. I use an open ended spanner, job done.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
Yes, that's a problem, it's a tool that's not really needed and when you see someone prizing up the nuts on a 4001 to get the tool actually on, well you get you're bass right out of there. I use an open ended spanner, job done.

Yep, typical instrument maker.  They sell a truss rod tool on their web site that doesn't fit the intended instrument properly.  I have to say that it did fit my first 4003 from 4 or more years ago.  Just doesn't work with a new one.  Opps!

ilan

• View Profile
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
If you can't move the nut with an open wrench then there's a problem.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 04:10:36 AM »
You need a thin-walled hex wrench like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-hex-box-guitar-truss-rod-adjustment-wrench-guitar-/120873406674?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c249dd0d2#ht_657wt_1163

Exactly.  I was going to look for one locally.  I have the Gibson 5/16" version already.  Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:38:13 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:20 AM »
If you can't move the nut with an open wrench then there's a problem.

The strings get in the way with an open wrench, but there is room if you loosen them enough.  I prefer a thin wall wrench, I'm less likely to bugger up the nuts.