Author Topic: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)  (Read 111141 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)
« Reply #450 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:29 AM »
The similarity (or difference if you like) is that they both double-charged rhythm &  blues, one of them in a quaintly British working class (Canvey Island, say no more!), the other in a very US East Coast middle class manner (Peter Wolf and Seth Justman were urbanites). I like and liked both. Lee Brilleaux had something seriously unsettling yet fascinating and Peter Wolf is to me one of the greatest rock frontmen ever - and one of the best white dancers/movers, better (and more natural) than Jagger even. Both bands had a strong work ethic. I saw them around the same time, the Feelgoods after the release of the great Down at the Doctors/Private Practice, J. Geils circa Love Stinks. The latter could turn an arena into a club (I saw them in a club in Wiesbaden - they weren't that well-known in Germany, but they were arena-honed from countless US tours and blew the place apart). The Feelgoods act otoh - idiosyncratic as it was - would have had a hard time transferring from club to arena, which probably also explains their absent US impact.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:01:16 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »
I still don't see much in common. Sure, they were both heavily R&B influenced -- along with thousands of other bands. To me, their sounds were distinct from each other.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 10, 2019, 01:29:03 PM »
I'm not saving they sounded alike. They processed the same stuff, but  wit very different outcomes. But I believe that what J. Geils did to American rhythm & blues was more agreeable to a few thousand Yanks in, say, Cobo Hall than what the Feelgoods did. For starters, the Feelgood audience was almost 100% male. And not that much different from a Status Quo one.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 10, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
As an American, I never got much of a chance to hear Dr. Feelgood, but I do prefer them to the J. Geils Band.  Sometimes when it came to the J. Geils music, I kind of had a WTF reaction. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »
I'm not saving they sounded alike. They processed the same stuff, but  wit very different outcomes. But I believe that what J. Geils did to American rhythm & blues was more agreeable to a few thousand Yanks in, say, Cobo Hall than what the Feelgoods did. For starters, the Feelgood audience was almost 100% male. And not that much different from a Status Quo one.

Almost 100% male?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2019, 12:11:15 AM »
Roxette---a good song that should have got more attention. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:43 AM »
By the way, concerning Dr Feelgood, the guitarist Wilko Johnson split from the band, a very long time ago. He's got a trio since several years. The bass player, Norman Watt Roy, who used to handle the bass in Ian Dury's Blockheads, is in my opinion one really great around the rock scene. If Wilko's band to be heard anywhere around your area, take the chance to hear a very good rock band.
Try this, for starters:

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 13, 2019, 04:16:01 AM »
Now, you might be absolutely right if you're thinking I'm getting far, far away from the bottom of this-a-here original subject. But please, excuse me! Cause I really dig the style of Norman W R. But I also dig Wilko Johnson's playing style. And, while we're at Johnson, I'd like to point out that he's a really good writer, too. Like this here chapter, from his stay in India back in '69: https://books.google.se/books?id=16SeBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT120&lpg=PT120&dq=mr+kardoom&source=bl&ots=JDKqYkvQBA&sig=ACfU3U0WE6hcqeTSoEGkL_uqxIkTqK3LkA&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrtNWryLjgAhVixcQBHSpwDgoQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=mr%20kardoom&f=false

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #458 on: February 13, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »
Roxette

Also, if anyone is actually looking for a G3, there just happens to be a natural one in rather good shape and not overpriced (US$1kish depending on exchange) at a store close to me.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 13, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Almost 100% male?

Those were TV shows, the girls couldn't have escaped even if Rush or the Dixie Dregs had played.

I stood at a Dr. Feelgood GIG. You know where people pay money for to go, that kind of a thing. I've also been to Bon Jovi concerts. Or Snow Patrol (just last week with my wife). Let me say that there is a marked gender-demographic difference:mrgreen:

But you don't have to believe me, sigh. Go to 56:22 here and count me the wimmin' (long hair does not equate female, this was 1980!). You'll find a couple if you squint your eyes. I retract my statement. 98% male, ok?

At the risk of saying something really uncool: I preferred the Feelgoods with (the unfortunately late, he died at 62) Gypie Mayo (the guy you see at the Berlin gig) to the previous incarnation with Wilko. Wilko was no doubt always a sight (and a songwriter), but his minimalist guitar style was also one-trick-pony'ish. The Feelgoods ran a lot smoother with Gypie, who was a groovier player than edgy-robotic Wilko.

BTW: It's these days a little known fact that between Wilko and Gypie the Feelgoods had Henry McCullough as their lead guitarist, yup, the Wings guy ...

An old school, long hair guitarist (the term then was "boring old fart") with the Feelgoods (who had major punk crossover appeal) was a political issue at the time, but Wilko walked out so abruptly on them, they had to honor commitments, inter alia a German open air where they opened for Barclay James Harvest (Gods in Germany at the time), Dire Straits (up and rising stars then) and, uhum, a then little known trio called "Police" who all dyed their hair blond (they got canned off, no joke). The Feelgoods came after Police I believe, but at least didn't get canned off. I wasn't at that particular open air, but my wife*** was! (She still relishes telling that she was one of the few people who have ever seen Sting booed off a stage.  ;))

***And to counter your obvious argument, Dave, SHE WASN'T THERE FOR THE FEELGOODS!!! Her then-friend liked - among his many other flaws - Barclay James Harvest (this was the time when I was still being conveniently ignored by her, not that I would want to bring that up again and again ...). And speaking of Barclay ... now that band always had a sizable female following, "poor man's Moody Blues" alright! Hell, they even had a song called "Hymen" or something ... ;D

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:02:02 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 13, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
I really can't tell from that one shot. Even if you're right about that gig, it's Germany. What do you expect? Most of the women are out working in the factories and the fields, they have no time for fun.  :P

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
The great Paco de Lucia and what looks like an early Ripper.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 14, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »
We've had that before!!!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 19, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
Sparko and his Grabber stood in the front line of Dr Feelgood of England, though he was, of course, overshadowed by now really gone singer Lee Brilleaux in his stage outfit, that looked like he'd passed out in it (and that in a ditch!), plus guitarist Wilko Johnson who really looked like a crazy sniper om amphetamines. Don't know whether they ever hit in the US, but I shure liked that band! Let's not forget drummer The Big Figure, a wall for any rock bass player to lean on.
This is -75, before Sex Pistols, and the rest.
Just one more thing that this video makes absolutely clear: Speeeed kills! (Even though it keeps you in style, fashionwise)

That's a great clip!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #464 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
Couldn't find a single vid, but saw this pic of the dude from Miogwai rocking a nice vintage G3:

Apparently he's usually a Fender/Alu neck Travis Bean guy.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)