Author Topic: Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string  (Read 10132 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »
I think there's room for everyone as long as you make a good product at a price that reflects good value.  ...

Right. A good idea doesn't need protection. You don't even have to build a better mousetrap, just the right mousetrap at a fair price.

There isn't a product out there that someone, somewhere can't make for less. You can't possibly compete with that making a low production item with a good bit of handwork required. You just do the best you can in your price range and hopefully enough people will find you to make it worthwhile.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
 Herer's the purple one. Think I'll wait for white, only Mark could pull this off.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:57 PM »

I'm fessin' up.........I do like that! Plus I already have 3 green Thunderbirds  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
Maybe I'll get you to make a body or tracing for me...and make an Embassy 8 string!!!!  And...everyone is right.....the hardest part for me...is finding a competent RELIABLE machinist to make the bridges and other parts I need...everything else...is doable.....

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
I think there's room for everyone as long as you make a good product at a price that reflects good value.  I don't think I'll be building as many basses as I did last year, I'm getting the urge to travel for one thing.  Embassies don't really interest me, more likely I'll do an ExplorerBird.

Blasphemer....
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »
Baz... perhaps you, Carlo, Bill and Scott should team up and take over Gibson...!

No QC issues then... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 07:13:29 PM »
YES!!!!!! WE SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
The knobs on the purple one don't look crooked like on the green one.

I guess they could only find Firebird PUPs in China and not TBird PUPs? Crazy.

That 4-saddle bridge is a deal breaker.

Shark

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:50 AM »
Sorry for 'hijacking' this thread but ...
Thumbs up for Baz's custom creations  :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2012, 05:03:54 AM »
 Hardly counts as a "hijack" for us"  ;D pretty much right on topic. It's not officially hijacked till we are discussing WWII aircraft, tanks, lubricants  etc.
Sorry for 'hijacking' this thread but ...
Thumbs up for Baz's custom creations  :mrgreen:

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »
Nice basses!!!!!! Glad you guys love 'em!!! Too bad that Tom Petersson guy didn't appreciate the Futura....someone at Bass Northwest or that Bill Nash Guy told him my Futura 8 string bass Headstock looked like a Dean....I guess he wasn't aware that the Futura Guitar....which was the prototype made by GIBSON had the same headstock......Guess too many years of partying on the road can dull the mind.......

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
I love my Waterstone TP12, which used to be his too, which is also the same green color as that 8-bird, but that bass has too many issues: the headstock is hideous; the pickups are too small and the whole thing looks like one of the cheap 60's Japanese things with 'just a little off' placements of knobs and a cheap pickguard. Baz ain't got NUTHIN to worry about.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2012, 01:37:36 PM »
Thanks guys...But...what is really messing me up...is my machinist is not coming through..he like 12-14 8 string bridge and tailpieces 1/2 done...and I have NO idea when they will be....so...He's useless and unreliable.......unless I have those in my hands...my custom bass building days are done...I cannot find a competant machinist anywhere in Chicago......I'm unemployed and have absolutely NO money to continue on....will be unloading some started pieces on Ebay in a day.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »
Thanks guys...But...what is really messing me up...is my machinist is not coming through..he like 12-14 8 string bridge and tailpieces 1/2 done...and I have NO idea when they will be....so...He's useless and unreliable.......unless I have those in my hands...my custom bass building days are done...I cannot find a competant machinist anywhere in Chicago......I'm unemployed and have absolutely NO money to continue on....will be unloading some started pieces on Ebay in a day.

I'm going to shoot some inquiries out to the few people I still know back home.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 03:03:44 PM »
Thanks Gary. Let me know-
jswoquinn@sbcglobal.net