Author Topic: Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string  (Read 10135 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 06:50:53 AM »
Pups are too narrow for string coverage IMO.  Banjos are fine for git strings, I like the look of them.  The Steinbergers are basically hi tech banjos.  You COULD intonate that bridge with judicious filing.  Knob placement weird.  Giant screws on the pick guard are a little crude.  But all in all, not bad if quality is good.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »
I like the look of it overall, but I have no experience with the brand. I've read good reviews of their semi-hollow p-bass types tho so they must do something right.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
 In general Waterstone's build quality is pretty good though like any company they have put out some dogs. Tom's 12vers are gone over from top to bottom by his guys I don't know who does the work but they remove the bridge pup and get custom finishes. I like the Thunderbird  8string, I really like the banjo tuners. I think the color choices are a bit garish but if push comes to shove I'd buy the purple. In some ways it looks like they didn't quite think it through...................the pickups not being wide enough and the goofy out of line controls. I am presuming these are first run from NAMM, if they make more maybe some of these issues will be addressed ?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:11:09 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 08:52:31 AM »
WOW...My idea has been stolen!!!!!!!! Oh well....

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
WOW...My idea has been stolen!!!!!!!! Oh well....

I have a standing order for an 8er Reverse with ThunderBucker EX8 pups and an 8 saddle bridge/tailpiece. When I get the 5ers sorted out they're next.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 10:32:50 AM »
Welll...I guess I'm finished...I can't compete with Mass produced basses.....I'm out...no one wants to spend money on a Handmade set neck Thunderbird 8 string bass...Guess I'll go back to...????? Good Luck.....It was fun....

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
 Baz buddy you are not competing with Waterstone, get hold of yourself man. Keep doing what your doing  :thumbsup:

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
OK...I will not QUIT!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
  Baz if I could afford one of your basses I would order one right now.  It's not just cost, It's a matter of priorities also. if I am going to spend big bucks I am more likely to buy another 60's NR that I'll play all the time. The big reason I don't have a 8 string or a 12ver is I can't justify the cost vs the use. What makes the Waterstone attractive even in garish colors at well under a grand it is relatively cheap. Even at it's price point I most likely won't buy one. Baz your not aimed at bottom feeders like me, keep aiming High!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:56:37 AM by godofthunder »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »
OK...I will not QUIT!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

There's no comparison Baz, I have proof of quality - One of your loving creations.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
 As for stealing ideas I like to think of it more as all of us who build or make parts are inspired by our love of Thunderbirds. In 2008 I was going to start building Fenderbirds full time but I didn't have the capitol to make it work. Carlo came in and filled the void, am I pissed ? Naw I was so impressed with his work I bought one of his basses. I hope to buy another in the near future. Right now things are tight my wife still works at KODAK and they just filled chapter 11. She does have her yoga studio and I have my restoration biz that is really starting to take off but we are looking at losing a serious chunk of income and health benefits. Tony Carl who also makes a Thunderbird bridge was kind enough to call me and ask if it was ok, I greatly appreciated that. His design provide extra travel in both direction where mine only provides extra travel in one direction. I plan on building again soon, I have my DBA, tax # etc. now and am spending more and more time in the shop. I hope to have Dasson Bass up and running this year offering the new Badbird with studs and tail piece, after market Thunderbird pgs and my own version of a NR Fenderbird. Hell Peter Cook beat us all to it and he gives us his blessing. I think there is plenty of room for everyone.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »
Oh absolutey...and what a cool variety of basses we all make...Thanks for the compliments guys....Who knows, Scott....maybe we can work something out with me finishing your 8 string and something else in trade for a for you know what....wink wink..... ;)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
I would love to get one of Carlo's Bodies with a Vintage neck and vintage 60's Bridge...or maybe a Mike Lull...so many possibilities...hey Carlo...how about making EMBASSY Bodies as well??????? 4...5...8 string is something I always wanted o do...My Machinist has been making Gibson Thunderbird style 8 string bridges and tailpieces...he is just so swamped...he hasn't been able to to anything lately....some brass...and some made from STEEL!!!!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
I think there's room for everyone as long as you make a good product at a price that reflects good value.  I don't think I'll be building as many basses as I did last year, I'm getting the urge to travel for one thing.  Embassies don't really interest me, more likely I'll do an ExplorerBird.