Author Topic: Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string  (Read 10134 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string
« on: January 27, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »

Not my pics.......Someone posted these on TB just thought I's share.

I don't know anything about the quality or construction so I'll limit my comments to the color.
I like it!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: Waterstone Thunderbird 8 string
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
You beat me to it! These were posted on the Waterstone facebook page. I don't really like the colors (there's one in "violet burst" too) but the basses look interesting. Not sure about the banjo tuners for the octave strings though.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »

I'm a big fan of Purple, Harry!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
Those look pretty cool! I'd like boring white please.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »

Ok....... And a single Lull pup in the sweet spot, please!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »
Mark I just noticed the neck pup position  :P me no like. Still if the price was right I'd buy one
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:21:14 PM »
I'm a big fan of Purple, Harry!  ;)

I love purple, but the purpleburst is a little too much for me, in the pictures at least...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
 They are going for $789.00
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:13:46 AM by godofthunder »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »
They are going for 798.00

Wow! Hmmmmmm........BassNW is a dealer, I may have to go visit my Thunderbird brother Evan Sheely next Friday!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:55:26 PM »
Please tell me they didn't use the 4 -saddle bridge, the same that is one those new Hagström HB-8 basses.

Reminds me of a John Birch T-bird. This is a medium scale?

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 02:50:45 AM »
Apparently my conversations about banjo tuners for the octaves have been well recieved....although I suggested Steinbergers and have a few sets stashed for a custom order of a different brand I'd been working on.

I'm afraid of Waterstones after I bought a MOT 12ver and sent it back after ONE day because I hated it....felt cheap/Asian (yes, there IS some good Asian-made stuff.) The hardware, especially, was lacking but overall it felt closer to a Galveston than a Hamer USA. The one I bought came from a name player and his bass tech had gone over it and set it up/tweaked it, so I would assume it was supposed to even be one of the better ones....still hated it. The only thing I liked was the MOT finish. After playing the thing and considering Petersson had been endorsing them for a few years, all I could think was "WTF?!?!" The ones he plays HAVE to be completely different, custom or totally modded/reworked.

If someone tries out one of these new TBirds that are half the price of the 12vers, I'd love to hear a review.
That green one looks to have a FOUR-saddle bridge, so it is impossible to intonate correctly...and the three pot knobs are crooked to the body bevel by a hair, so look wrong. I also don't think mounting all 8-tuners on one side is such a good idea...gonna need a really long G octave string too. Guess they must make those in some special hut in China :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:00:13 AM by mc2NY »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
They look very cool!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 05:14:55 AM »
   Ryan from Waterstone tells me they have four of these two in each color, when these are gone they are ordering more I asked for a white one lets see what he says :)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 06:02:19 AM »
Bridge pickup looks too narrow...