Author Topic: looking foor a 300w-500w combo  (Read 15671 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: looking foor a 300w-500w combo
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
i have the roland 60 combo as my only amp for the last twenty years or so. it is exactly what i need for what i do. although getting kind of shakey lately, even with a new eminence 15" speaker.
best part is i got it for free. a friend left it at my house and never came back for it. ???

I think you have a later model. The one I got was circa 1980 and was orange with a 12" speaker, definitely not a 15.
Rear-ported too, I remember that the port doubled as the place to store the power cord.
I don't have clear memories of what it sounded like, but I liked it; I sold it and got the Peavey once I started playing with drummers.
My dad later got the keyboard version, which was great - it was similar except it was silver and had two inputs with separate volume controls, a spring reverb, a square instead of round rear port, and a tweeter.

... ah here we go:

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
your amp is cuter than mine, which looks more like a smaller peavey tnt. :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2012, 04:53:34 AM »
Those little Rolands have always been great. The 60 watt 12" new ones are really nice too. I wish we played at a bit lower volume so I could get by with one. Maybe I could lose the white noise and ringing in my ears :P
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
Seriously...I went to my local hearing center and had 9 dB molded earplugs made.  They work really well for me, and cut the sound just enough less than the 15 dB over the counter models that I can hear the music.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
Molded earplugs are so important for me!  I've been using (and cleaning) the same pair of etymotic ER-15 plugs for over a decade now.
Best gear investment ever.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good plan. I hear tree frogs in the middle of winter with a foot of snow on the ground :o. I know they aren't there but I hear them plain as day.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good plan. I hear tree frogs in the middle of winter with a foot of snow on the ground :o. I know they aren't there but I hear them plain as day.
Rick

Well, it's either your ears or those funny sugar cubes you ate in the 60's.   ???
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2012, 04:11:02 AM »
Well, it's either your ears or those funny sugar cubes you ate in the 60's.   ???

Yeah, that and the paper stuff ;D. I'm not seeing any tree frogs though,so I'm going with the ear thing,
Rick

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 12:41:52 PM »
  I finally made a decision! I bought a Orange Terror Bass, it should be here in a few days. if I like the amp I am then going to buy two of the Orange 1x15 cabs. With the two cabs I can use it for almost any gig. I am excited!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
 All I can say is WOW through my Hiwatt 2150 this thing sounds great! Seriously thick full tone, at either low or high volume. Love the fact it has a direct out and effects loop. Love the simple controls, def not a knob twiddler amp. I can't wait to take it to rehearsal tomorrow. Looks like I am going to be ordering a couple of cabs :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24:35 AM »
Boy, that sounds great!  I love the sound of my Mesa, but the 30 knobs on it are a big pain in the butt when I want to make a quick adjustment between basses.  Maybe I should consider going that route.  I've looked at Ampegs and other amps and they just don't do anything for me.  What do you think?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2012, 09:23:15 AM »
  I think you should stop by and try it out! I am taking it to rehearsal tonight, I'll have a report tomorrow.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
  I think you should stop by and try it out! I am taking it to rehearsal tonight, I'll have a report tomorrow.

I'll do that!  I'll have some free time next Tuesday morning after a Drs. appointment, I'll give you a call to see if you're around then.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:54 AM »
WOW! I love this thing! I used it at rehearsal last night and it was a plug in and play kind of deal. Very, very easy to get a great tone with just a few tweaks.I set the gain at about 10 O'clock giving a nice warm overdrive, just enough not to much, it would be easy to get carried away because you can drive the snot out of this thing. For a SS amp it has a lot of inherent bass in it's overall sound, sort of reminded me of a Acoustic 360. My tone controls were treble at 3 o'clock, mid at 12  o'clock, and bass around 9 o'clock and my master right around 10 o'clock. Vintage is the word to describe this amp, if you are looking for a modern tone move on. My '67 Thunderbird just sings on the settings I used, notes on the D and G string were lively and full, the E string had lots of punch and growl. The overall tone is what gets me,  I have used tube preamp pedals and earlier hybrid amps and the all sounded grainy to me, The Terror sounds warm and full. Another thing that impressed me was it's sound at relatively low volume, Punchy, gritty, with lots of life no notes dying on the fingerboard (always a problem for me at lower volume). This amp can do it all from rehearsal to small gigs and big venues. In the settings I have used it so far I like it better than my Hiwatt DR201  :o I can't wait to use it live, that direct out and the effects loop will greatly improve my FOH sound. I bough this amp for smaller venues and as a back up to the Hiwatts but I can certainly see me using it at larger gigs  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 05:33:45 AM »
WOW! I love this thing! I used it at rehearsal last night and it was a plug in and play kind of deal. Very, very easy to get a great tone with just a few tweaks.I set the gain at about 10 O'clock giving a nice warm overdrive, just enough not to much, it would be easy to get carried away because you can drive the snot out of this thing. For a SS amp it has a lot of inherent bass in it's overall sound, sort of reminded me of a Acoustic 360. My tone controls were treble at 3 o'clock, mid at 12  o'clock, and bass around 9 o'clock and my master right around 10 o'clock. Vintage is the word to describe this amp, if you are looking for a modern tone move on. My '67 Thunderbird just sings on the settings I used, notes on the D and G string were lively and full, the E string had lots of punch and growl. The overall tone is what gets me,  I have used tube preamp pedals and earlier hybrid amps and the all sounded grainy to me, The Terror sounds warm and full. Another thing that impressed me was it's sound at relatively low volume, Punchy, gritty, with lots of life no notes dying on the fingerboard (always a problem for me at lower volume). This amp can do it all from rehearsal to small gigs and big venues. In the settings I have used it so far I like it better than my Hiwatt DR201  :o I can't wait to use it live, that direct out and the effects loop will greatly improve my FOH sound. I bough this amp for smaller venues and as a back up to the Hiwatts but I can certainly see me using it at larger gigs  ;)

Sounds good!  I'll call you next week to see if you're around on Tuesday.  I should be done with the doc by noon.  Maybe we could do lunch again.