Author Topic: Flying V Vs Explorer poll  (Read 15931 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Flying V Vs Explorer poll
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

Just work a P-47 into the thread, he'll be back!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »
Denis spotted it...
... as late as 1976 (which must have been when Gary Rossington Allen Collins got his with Lynyrd Skynyrd)

... and yep, Uwe, that was Ed King in that video - had a lot to do with their early sound - flat-picking style of playing I think they call it... weird people with too many strings...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:05:15 PM by BUFF »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »
Did someone say P-47?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »

Just work a P-47 into the thread, he'll be back!

;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:14 AM »
 Ah Kenny is the voice of reason amongst us! While both basses are cool they ain't Thunderbirds which are what I PLAY. I think I'll wait till something special comes along (like a Thunderbird). If I were to buy one the V does win out for me.
I'd throw this thought in your direction...
You presently have Explorer style instruments so that's a proven in your life but how often do you gig with shorties...?
V's are without-a-doubt the greatest instrument in the world for the flashier (read poseur) player, but I so link you with NR's...

Go for what you think you would use the most... either that or hold fire for something special... ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
Da nada, Bro... ;)

I'm just glad no one asked me to identify a P47 from a lineup... :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
That's easy Kenny, it's the one three times bigger than a Spitfire. ;)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »
How about an L-19???? or a J-3?????

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
Da nada, Bro... ;)

I'm just glad no one asked me to identify a P47 from a lineup... :o

They look like Hellcats  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
 LMAO I forgot about that little indiscretion!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
With the exception of the Mustang and the Lightning, all American fighters tended to look like Rippers/Grabbers/G-3s, courtesy of Pratt & Whitney's behemoth aircooled engines!

And Ken, you are forgiven, roughly seventy years after the first appearance of these aircraft! You were only a child back then. Luftwaffe pilots had a hard time telling the P-40 and the Hurricane apart in the day, and at least in the Razorback version a TBolt ain't too far from a Hellcat especially given their similar (out)size.

And Allied pilots believed to detect the Me BF 109 everywherere, Japanese or Italian insignia nonwithstanding, but the other two are in fact a Kawasaki Tony and a Macchi Veltro:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:35:06 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

starmann

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
Hey all:

New Here....

Since you have the Cherry T Bird, as do I....Why not try the explorer...I just got one and it is full scale vs. short scale for the V.

However, I do have an SG short Scale and love it, however, only with flats vs. the round wounds that came on it.  You may find the same thing with the short scale V?

The explorer has a great sound and a very cool look, but it IS a big hunk of wood..  I'm hoping they remain "rare".

So.............If you can find one, go with the explorer.  The good news is that if you want a V, they are readily available.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 12:17:44 PM »

Welcome to where Gibson bass is spoken Jeff!

I think the upshot of the thread is that Gibson could do a long scale V, yeah, it would neck dive - I'd buy one!

starmann

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
Thanks Mark...

And you were right...Gibson has definitely "upped" their game in QC.

Other than a "freshly painted" pungent smell, the bass is Very Nice.

And I here you, a long scale V would be nice....Neck Dive, it's the nature of the beast...Oh, well :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »

Ahhh....The smell of a new Gibson bass, the RD was very sweet ( someone here said "smells like truffels") the Explorer a little less so. I Love it  ;D