Author Topic: What was the last comic book you've bought?  (Read 3148 times)

Blazer

What was the last comic book you've bought?
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »
I love comics, and because i draw comics myself I have every right to be crazy about them. And so I figured it to be fun to have a topic about comics on the forum.

The latest comic book I bought was "It goes without saying" about Peanuts gags without dialogue and some of them are nothing short of brilliant.

One that really had me in stitches was one where Schroeder is listening to the radio and clearly is enjoying the music. Snoopy walks over and sees Schroeder in this music bliss and looks a bit unsure on where the sound comes from, he then gives Schroeder a disproving look and shapes his ears into a square. I can't tell you why I think this is funny but to me it is.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: What was the last comic book you've bought?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
well i've always loved comics.i have a bunch from the 70's that my parents bought me when i was a little kid.i collected from the mid 80's until about '94.(Marvel,DC and independent stuff)at that point i realized i was spending waaaaaay too much money so i stopped except for Spawn,which i had every issue.then they got sucky so i stopped at issue 100. that was the last one i bought.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »
I had a ton of the mid '70s Marvel and DC comics.  I was big on Kamandi, The Demon, Forever People, New Gods...all that.

The last new comic I got was a signed copy of Spawn, based on the movie.  I got it for my son.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:12:34 PM »
Simon Bisley is one badass artist. I bought his Slaine, Lobo, Death Dealer & Batman paperbacks in the mid-90s.

http://simonbisleygallery.com/

Think I still have some Conan comics somewhere.

There are some amazing super sexy chicks in comics now.
Kinda glad they weren't THAT sexy when I was a kid. heh

Check this out, great Catwoman, Joker & Batman:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 10:22:12 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:26:48 AM »
The latest Marvel Iron Fist series, DC's Metal Men

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:30:16 AM »
I can't remember the last comic book I bought, but it definitely would have been prior to 1960.  :o

I do love reading comics online or in newspapers, but they're funnies and social or political satires. Never got into comic books.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »
Just got a new Green Lantern Sunday.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 03:56:50 AM »
 The last one I bought ? Must be the KISS comic with all four members blood mixed in the ink, I still have it, wonder what it's worth ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:02 AM »
well i've always loved comics.i have a bunch from the 70's that my parents bought me when i was a little kid.i collected from the mid 80's until about '94.(Marvel,DC and independent stuff)at that point i realized i was spending waaaaaay too much money so i stopped except for Spawn,which i had every issue.then they got sucky so i stopped at issue 100. that was the last one i bought.

Try trade paperbacks. They're a lot of bang for the buck and there are tons of good comics available in the format now. I buy very few actual monthly issues anymore, only a couple things I know won't be made into trades.

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:47 AM »
I had a ton of the mid '70s Marvel and DC comics.  I was big on Kamandi, The Demon, Forever People, New Gods...all that.

The last new comic I got was a signed copy of Spawn, based on the movie.  I got it for my son.

Sounds like you were a Jack Kirby fan. Good taste!

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 07:43:08 AM »
I bought the latest Hellboy and B.P.R.D. trades yesterday, as well as the second issue of Kick-Ass.  :)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
I grew up in the far north Outback of Australia (think Crocodile Dundee country) we had no TV and radio only a few ours a day. Comics were the main tradable form of entertainment amongst kids. Of course the parents said the same things there about comics as their city counterparts did about TV. Oh the irony (sigh). Anyway I was a big collector of IronMan, Green Lantern, Ghost Rider and Moon Knight.  I'm pretty sure that the last comic I bought would have been a Moon Knight comic.

Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 07:15:34 PM »
Sounds like you were a Jack Kirby fan. Good taste!

Yup!  I even dug into Captain America more when Kirby took over the helm.

As a sidebar, I took my son to a comic convention when he was younger.  Sergio Aragones was there, and my son asked him to draw The Green Lantern.  Go figure.  Sergio gave him a funny look, but gave him a cute version ala Aragones.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 07:10:44 AM »
Yup!  I even dug into Captain America more when Kirby took over the helm.

As a sidebar, I took my son to a comic convention when he was younger.  Sergio Aragones was there, and my son asked him to draw The Green Lantern.  Go figure.  Sergio gave him a funny look, but gave him a cute version ala Aragones.

Hah, that's cool that he obliged your son. I read Groo when I was a kid. I havn't kept up with Groo recently but there seems to be a resurgence of his comics on the shelves now.

The Kirby-esque art style is part of the reason I like Mike Mignola's stuff.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 08:07:21 AM »
Marvel all the way!!!  8)