Author Topic: NR Thunderbird reissuie a reality?  (Read 10043 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: NR Thunderbird reissuie a reality?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
I am pretty sure we can expect a NR Thunderbird IV, TB plus pickups with  black hardware and the three point bridge. Finished in either tobacco sunburst or white.

Well this would break the deal for me.
Perhaps you could stick a screwdriver in your Gibson Rep's ear and suggest they use some chrome parts - like they did on the RD and V.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:16:21 PM »
Well this would break the deal for me.
Perhaps you could stick a screwdriver in your Gibson Rep's ear and suggest they use some chrome parts - like they did on the RD and V.  ;)
We'd end up getting those guitar humbucker sized pickups like they used on the alpine white and silverburst 'birds.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »

I can imagine the bass selling for 1400.00-1500.00 no problem, I don't want to have to tear it apart for the sake of the wrong color hardware, that'd add another 800.00 to it - No, thank you.
The other recent releases, especially the oversize Les Paul are very cool, I'm just hoping they pull this together in proper fashion, they can, if they wnt to.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
 Believe me I told the rep what the bassists want, he has about as much control as I. Lets hope they don't F it up to bad.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »

I have no doubt that you did Scott  ;D

Let's hope they listened.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 05:09:51 PM »
Bummer!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
Tell 'em that solid colour finishes cost less to produce than sunburst.  They can make a solid finish cheaper, reduce the price slightly too, and sell more if they use cool solid colours - pelham blue, cardinal red, and maybe some of those nice "Fender" colours - seafoam, burgundy mist etc LOL
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 01:47:56 AM »
I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, obviously, I would love for Gibson to make a proper reissue of an NR Bird, especially in a cool custom color but on the other hand I think that it's pretty cool that they haven't and we on here have NR Birds thanks to Bach & Rob's hard work. I really like that if you aren't "in the know" and a member of this board, you most likely don't know about the Bach version therefore making the fact that we have NR Birds a little more of a rarity and special. I know the Bachbird isn't completely faithful to the original but it is cheap enough so you can customize them so that they come pretty damn close. And let's face it, even if Gibson does a really good job on the reissue I highly doubt it will be faithful to the original either, something will be different about them, good or bad will remain to be seen. If I am going to spend money on a bass that is not close to original specs, that I have to customize and put money into, I would rather have the starting point of that bass cost me about $300 instead of thousands of dollars.   

But again, part of me would also be excited if they do a really good job with it if it does happen.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 05:49:39 AM »
I am pretty sure we can expect a NR Thunderbird IV, TB plus pickups with  black hardware and the three point bridge. Finished in either tobacco sunburst or white.

I would hope the would use the chrome LP pickups like they did in the Ripper reissue.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:23 AM »
Believe me I told the rep what the bassists want, he has about as much control as I. Lets hope they don't F it up to bad.

Yep, the day we met the rep at the HOG, we really pushed for a reasonable replica, not a "current parts drawer" facsimile.  I'm not too hopeful they will listen......... :-\
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 06:29:14 AM »
I would hope they would read this forum to know what Gibson bass fans want.

The Gibson Firebird non-reverse is available in two finishes so they know how good that body shape looks in blue:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/2011-Firebird-Studio-Non-Reverse.aspx

Looking at it from a historical perspective though, the non-reverse Thunderbird had the same hardware as the reverse model, so a current non-reverse would have the same hardware as the reverse 'bird and sell for a lower price to account for the less complex construction, like the Thunderbird Studio of a few years ago, and I think it would be OK with a chrome bridge and tuners with black pickups like the Firebird above.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
I would hope they would read this forum to know what Gibson bass fans want.

The Gibson Firebird non-reverse is available in two finishes so they know how good that body shape looks in blue:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Firebird/Gibson-USA/2011-Firebird-Studio-Non-Reverse.aspx

Looking at it from a historical perspective though, the non-reverse Thunderbird had the same hardware as the reverse model, so a current non-reverse would have the same hardware as the reverse 'bird and sell for a lower price to account for the less complex construction, like the Thunderbird Studio of a few years ago, and I think it would be OK with a chrome bridge and tuners with black pickups like the Firebird above.

That looks really nice. There is no way they are going to remake original chrome covers

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 06:56:12 AM »
That looks really nice. There is no way they are going to remake original chrome covers

Yeah, that would take an investment of hundreds of dollars. ???

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:10:55 AM »
I'll buy it whatever for non-fin-induced and non-type-of-hardware-and-pup-color-induced reasons.  :-*
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
Is the doublecut Junior Bass (EB11) selling? There were supposedly only 400 to be made, right? Yet it's still shown as in stock at Musicians Friend. If Gibson can't sell 400 of a pseudo-reissue like the EB11 at $1200, does anyone really think they can they sell 400 of a NR reissue that's not historically accurate?