Author Topic: Post Your Music!  (Read 105317 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Post Your Music!
« Reply #450 on: May 07, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
A friend sent me this 30-second excerpt of Saturday night's gig.... Me approximating Entwistle.  I was appropriately much too loud :)   The band sounded good!
This is the most fun I've ever had with a sinus infection.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/myvelywuk8kcb6m/WRP_the_real_me_2018-05-05_excerpt_IMG_0255.MOV?dl=0
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #451 on: May 07, 2018, 02:15:32 PM »
Pretty darn nice hot licks there!!   :toast:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 07, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
Well done lads. The LPB-1 sounds great and aggressive as it should for an Ox inspired bass line. What was the signal chain for that nice grinding and growly tone?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #453 on: May 07, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
Thanks!!  I was using my trusty Genz Benz Shuttle through the house cab, an Ampeg 410, I forget which model.  The cab was a bit mushy for my taste. There was a direct out from the preamp, post EQ, to the board.
I've sung the praises of this bass and preamp combo many times here... It just always makes me happy.

I do set the preamp for a touch of overdrive as my normal sound, but for this song I wanted a boost, so I brought my overdrive... a Keeley modded Boss BD2 from back when Robert Keeley used to sell modded pedals. Drive was set somewhere roughly in the middle and I turned down the tone a bit so it wouldn't be too harsh through the direct out. I could tell there was quite a bit of me in the mains because I was hearing quite a bit of subwoofer on the stage. I only had about one minute to tweak knobs before we started so I just had to hope that everything worked out. I think it did!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:48 PM »
Ah, I assumed there was some added spice in the recipe. The more bass the better. Everyone should not have to strain to hear us. Bands sound better when the bassist is heard and not content to cower in the background. Three cheers for the sound man!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 07, 2018, 09:55:58 PM »
Nice clips, Alan and Paul.

And Paul, I thought the bass volume sounded about right. at least in that short excerpt.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #456 on: May 08, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »
Bands sound better when the bassist is heard and not content to cower in the background. Three cheers for the sound man!

It's getting harder and harder to find sound guys who understand this. Everyone wants to homogenize everything/mix every band the same way.

Nice clips, Alan and Paul.

And Paul, I thought the bass volume sounded about right. at least in that short excerpt.

Yes, yes, and yes!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #457 on: May 08, 2018, 07:19:51 AM »
Thanks a lot guys :-)
We got an mp3 of the entire show here... mostly originals, about 3 covers.
This was nominally a soundboard tape, but it sounds to me like there's at least some room mics mixed in.
Bass is kinda mushy but at least it's loud :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y36j4vgeq74esrb/C1AE31A2-26A4-4C1F-8149-B11F1FF06641.mp3?dl=0

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:48 AM »
Great job and I am glad you still are using your silverburst ice cream LPB!

They are still pretty rare I believe?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #459 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
Thanks :)  It's a yellowburst! I have no idea how many of them were made.  I don't know either if they made those in silverburst, has anybody seen one?

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2018, 10:38:35 PM »
It's hard to find much about this LPB1 model outside of the Outpost!
I found this in Gruhn's via google:
https://books.google.com/books?id=M-3HoVgxFBIC&pg=PA292&lpg=PA292&dq=gibson+LPB-1+catalog&source=bl&ots=l8feRmQtSk&sig=brFZC8C793ibCrhFHs3cxNEd_Oc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM5aTSwInbAhUs0oMKHb_xBLgQ6AEIXTAM#v=onepage&q=gibson%20LPB-1%20catalog&f=false
"Ebony, heritage cherry, or TV yellow finish.  Introduced: Late 1991. Ebony finish discontinued, tobacco sunburst optional: 1992.  Ebony, classic white or heritage cherry finish: 1993."

I still haven't bought Rob's book!  Maybe he knows :)

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 15, 2018, 11:40:03 PM »
I've seen a few of those (Vintage Sunburst?) through the years. I think they all were pre '93 models (three knobs, larger headstock and flower pot inlay).

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 16, 2018, 06:41:32 PM »
It's hard to find much about this LPB1 model outside of the Outpost!
I found this in Gruhn's via google:
https://books.google.com/books?id=M-3HoVgxFBIC&pg=PA292&lpg=PA292&dq=gibson+LPB-1+catalog&source=bl&ots=l8feRmQtSk&sig=brFZC8C793ibCrhFHs3cxNEd_Oc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM5aTSwInbAhUs0oMKHb_xBLgQ6AEIXTAM#v=onepage&q=gibson%20LPB-1%20catalog&f=false
"Ebony, heritage cherry, or TV yellow finish.  Introduced: Late 1991. Ebony finish discontinued, tobacco sunburst optional: 1992.  Ebony, classic white or heritage cherry finish: 1993."

I still haven't bought Rob's book!  Maybe he knows :)

Rob's page on the Special has a photo of a cherry 3-knob passive LPB-1. You won't find anything that we haven't discussed here but it will help spread the word that it exists.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #463 on: May 16, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
I wondered if the "TV Yellow" mentioned by Gruhn's might actually refer to a TV Yellow Burst, since I've seen a few other Gibson models with black-on-yellow burst described that way. But apparently not - a pure yellow LPB-1 did exist!  https://reverb.com/item/3630409-gibson-les-paul-bass-1992-tv-yellow

Hmm. Nowadays gibson calls this color scheme "vintage sunburst".  http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Junior-2018.aspx
ALthough that one has more of an orange tint than mine.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »
Er... much to my surprise... well, not... band I'm playing with finally have a CD release due later this month, entitled "The Devil Inside"... 12 tracks; all originals... I play on 11 of them, with an acoustic-esque reprise as an outro 12th track... the PC gets 5 outings and the fretless RD gets 6 tracks... first release in 30 years... doesn't time fly... ;)

Facebook page is linked below...

Susanna Wolfe Band

Scheduled release date is 27th July... I think on iTunes first... CDBaby are pressing up CD's
As soon as we have a track up to listen to I'll place a link up... it's not going to light up the world, and I'm certainly not going to get any playing awards... just music with a bit of "Americana" thrown in...
This is a mock-up of the CD cover; the finalised cover is now up on the FB page

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...