Author Topic: G3 sighting  (Read 4150 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: G3 sighting
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2011, 09:27:18 PM »
Is that an EB2 in Little Richard's band?  Off screen to the right at first.

Could be. I know his bassist in that era played an EB (EB-1), wouldn't surprise me if he also had an EB-2.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 03:46:16 AM »
Are you saying he was a eunuch or just gay?  ??? ??? ??? I never put his high screaming voice down to lack of testosterone.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2011, 06:02:24 AM »
I liked Little Richard as well.

This is really dissapointing-

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
Are you saying he was a eunuch or just gay?  ??? ??? ??? I never put his high screaming voice down to lack of testosterone.

I meant that he was gay, although I had never heard that term back in the 50s. It wasn't apparent to me from his singing back when I was 8 or 9 years old, but after the first time I saw him interviewed, it was obvious.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus

Why is it disappointing? It just reflects the writer's biases. Most in my parents' generation were disappointed that The Beatles sold more records than Frank Sinatra or Glenn Miller. And so it goes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 03:15:29 AM »

Just mostly shows that people who aim for singles success are sometimes successful. And that's ok. Unless her music and she really matures, then in twenty years from now Rhianna's today CDs will most likely not be played by a lot of people in a consecutive form on whatever media, but you'll hear the occasional song on the radio. Few music junkies will be waiting with bated breath for the rerelease of Madonna's debut (plus studio outtakes and unreleased instrumental tracks!) either. So it's ok for artists like that to have a string of single hits in a comparatively short time. In comparison, a band like Zeppelin - did I mention that I really don't like them that much?  ;) - have an Atlantic (pun not intended, but it is nevertheless quite good, don't you think?) Wall of commercial longevity through their LP ouevre which they will be able to remaster, remix, repackage and rerelease over and over again. Different ways to make money, that's all.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »
FWIW, I'd double check most of those supposed facts deeper than just Billboard, especially pre-70's album sales from ANY artist. ...that and it's pretty much an open secret that the record industry publishes its own sales figures and has never been completely honest about what most of those numbers actually mean. Sam Clemens and all.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 08:30:43 AM »
You never know, Rihanna may become an institution or be forgotten. I don't waste time worrying about it. There are at least a hundred artists I'd rather listen to than her (or Hot Chelle Ray) but ya know, I just can't get excited about whether or not they are more successful than someone I like. That's someone else's taste, not mine.

FWIW, the total number of Led Zeppelin, REM and Depeche Mode recordings in my collection: Zero. Same as Rihanna! Another reason the writer's "extremely disappointing facts" don't resonate with me.