Author Topic: Your first crappy bass  (Read 17703 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Re: Your first crappy bass
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
My first was an 80s Kay, neckthru, made in Korea. The bridge was nasty so I changed that and swapped out the pickups for Dimarzios. After that it was actually not a bad bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
http://www.univox.org/pics/guitars/ub1_white.jpg

my first was this univox ub-1. paid 65 bucks for it in a pawn shop. thinking back that was probably retail for the thing. mine was white as well.

Very Jag-ish!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 10:02:21 AM »
My first was an 80s Kay, neckthru, made in Korea. The bridge was nasty so I changed that and swapped out the pickups for Dimarzios. After that it was actually not a bad bass.

That's a nice bass (assuming the neck was straight)!  Especially with your upgrades.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »
My first bass was an Epiphone P-bass copy like this one.  It was black with a maple fretboard, Explorer style headstock, and had a thumbrest near the neck.  The build quality was actually not bad. The headstock was angled, and I remember the first time I played a Fender "P"  - I thought the Fender looked odd with it's  flat headstock. The Epi didn't sound bad, but if I had it today I would drop a Fender '62 P-bass pup in it, add a bridge and pup cover,  and put a set of GHS precision flats on it. This bass met it's demise after I bought my first Ibanez Soundgear SR-800 and decided to set the Epi on fire one night at a club we were playing  :P

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »
short scale kay les paul looking bass and supro thunderbolt amp.  $75 for both.  about year later bought a brand new SB Fender precison bass for $174 dollars and the case was an extra $41.  Still have most of the fender .  wish I still had the other 2.  Th Kay actually played very well and had one neck Hb looking pup and the thunderbolts though crappy for bass are very sought after guitar amps. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »
with my first bass, an ibanez eb2 copy(bolt on neck) in 1976-long gone as is the mo.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:58:02 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »
Love that Ibanez!

This thread got me thinking back to my early days of "gear lust".  I still have a box full of the brochures I used to drool over!  Took a few out for a group photo...

There's a miniature shot of my red Sears p-bass there (sorta) in the middle.

I used to write letters to companies requesting their catalogs, and most responded (not realizing I was only ~12  ;D). Here's some correspondence from Hofner:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:59:30 PM by chromium »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »
Not my first (Hofner) or even second (Klira), but here's my third crappy bass - a Prima J knockoff. That's me in 1979, aged 17, with bangs...

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »

Pedulla says "Hi."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
Pedulla says "Hi."

My thought too. You could play bass in an 80's era KISS tribute band with that thing! (Not that you'd want to.  :) )

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 11:26:31 PM »
I used to write letters to companies requesting their catalogs, and most responded (not realizing I was only ~12  ;D). Here's some correspondence from Hofner:

Wow, they wrote you all the way from Germany! Excellent shots of your catalogs too, I don't have many of mine left, but I think I held on to a few, especially the Japanese ones.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
My first "real" amp was a Carvin.  I was buying their crap when they were just a mail order operation.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
My first "real" amp was a Carvin.  I was buying their crap when they were just a mail order operation.

And Proudly, I'm sure!!   :mrgreen:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
And Proudly, I'm sure!!   :mrgreen:

Hardly.  That amp went back to Escondido no fewer than 5 times in the first year.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »
Hardly.  That amp went back to Escondido no fewer than 5 times in the first year.

Perhaps the more accurate term would be "educationally", since it was such a learning experience.  :P