Author Topic: Iconic bridge and adjusting issues  (Read 4837 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Iconic bridge and adjusting issues
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Thank you for sharing this!

Next I drill out the height adjutment feet indentations .. this is to stabilize the saddle assembly . They all seem to tilt away from the neck ... they NEVER seem to stay put. That is why I started doing that mod 30+ yearsago.

Trying to make sure I understand correctly... You are drilling the indentations where the two allen screws in the saddle base sit?  Do you drill completely through the bridge base, or just enough to provide some additional depth/stability?  I'm not familiar enough with this bridge to know how thick the bridge base is right there - so just curious.  I'm assuming the latter, since I imagine you'd want the height adjustments to function still(?)

Thanks!

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »
Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=600.0

Try this

Ah - that makes perfect sense now.  Thanks!

I might have to muster the courage and do this to my 73.  That bridge works (marginally) but is pretty jacked up, and its at its bounds in terms of any further adjustment.  The saddle assembly tilts more than the Dean girls at a Namm afterparty...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »
this mod allows for palm muting OR mechanical muting .
I can't palm mute with the "teeth" where they are. They have to be out of the way. And I'd like to keep the look, if possible, and not have the toothless look of the S/5 base plate. The thumb screws have to go.

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023