Author Topic: Ampeg V4B  (Read 17482 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Ampeg V4B
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Being heard is not the problem. Keeping it tight without too much drive ( fuzzy blur) is the problem.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 07:03:59 AM »
I have a '90's V4BH that I will use on my 2x15 LGS cab, and find that for most situations it works just as good as my 450 watt 3-Pros. The 3-Pro does have a little more clean headroom, but the V4BH is more than capable in given me enough clean thump with out being overdriven. In this pic I'm using it to push the 2x15 while the B15 powers a 4x12. Killer combination!

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
I use a V4-B through an Ampeg SVT 1540HE (410+115+horn.) As others have stated, the only issue you'll have is that at anything past about 11 o' clock on the volume dial turns into massively dirty distortion. It stops getting louder, and just gets more distorted. This isn't really a problem unless your band is excessively loud and/or you like having lots of clean headroom. If your band is really loud, a mic'd venue is going to be your best friend because this amp just won't get loud enough.

That being said, V4-Bs are really great amps. Lots of thump, really big, booming rock tone. Flipping that mid switch between the three positions also gives you a lot of different colors to play with in the tone spectrum. Also, being able to go between 4?, 8?, and 16? is great for using more than one cabinet, as well as having a direct out for bi-amping. That makes this amp very useful if you have the extra gear to accompany it.

When I play larger venues I tend to bi-amp mine with an Orange AD30HTC either with the Orange through a 2x12 cabinet, or both through the Ampeg stack (Orange through the 410, Ampeg through the 115.)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 12:36:20 AM »
Thanks for all the info, you guys! Just yesterday I got connected to a guy down in Europe who's got a V4b without the master volume, and at a good price. Both my Ampeg B1RE, and my Dual Showman, has got the master, and I think it comes in handy. So, what do you think concerning the advantages of a V4B with master volume? Plus your thoughts about that amp - without MV - in connection with B410HE + B115E?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 04:45:35 AM »
'course I don't remember what I had for supper last night....but I don't remember a master volume.  It's been 30 to 35 years, though. I could be wrong.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 05:14:34 AM »
There were a few 70's V4's/VT22 (combo) with master volumes, but no V4B's. The V4BH that was later introduced by SLM and is still in production (though I would strong recommend against buying a new one) has a master volume. There are master volume mods for vintage V4's that would 'work' in a vintage V4B too, but they're mostly for more distortion, not more headroom. An old V4B is going to sound pretty good through most cabs. It ought to be great through the B410HE and B115E.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
Thank you guys! You're the best! I understand now that the thought of an Ampeg V4B with Master volume is a matter of misunderstanding, on my behalf. I've had some trouble keeping my head together the last days, since I discovered the V4B for sale. Gotta get it! Thanks again!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 07:52:33 AM »
iamthatguy just reminded me of a setup I used for a while in the mid 90s. I re-wired my vintage SVT cabinet as (2) 4x10s. I ran the SVT head into the bottom 4 tens and a 1x15 cab, and ran the V-4B through the top 4 tens. Oh mama! That was a heavenly rig, but just too much to deal with on a regular basis.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »
If you're looking for more power and clean headroom out of a V4B, the hot ticket has always been to have the amp retrofitted with 6550s - however, you can probably expect a change in your tone as well. Actually, some later V-series amps carried a label on the back panel which read "7027A/6550 - Use one type only". I think there was a factory hop-up kit offered...
Having said that, there's something about those 7027s that just flat out works in the V4B. Some have said that you can get similar results with a good NOS 6L6 type tube (like a 7581), but I have not had the chance to explore that.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 04:53:45 AM »
Shit! >:( Just got a message from the guy in England, the one who had the V4B for sale. He's just sold it, to another person! And it was only £400, which is around $650! I feel really disappointed... Well, well... They didn't make just one of them. But, f--k! I could almost smell it! Was just about to call USP to arrange delivery...  :sad:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »
' he who hesitates IS lunch '.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 01:55:11 PM »
Shit! >:( Just got a message from the guy in England, the one who had the V4B for sale. He's just sold it, to another person! And it was only £400, which is around $650! I feel really disappointed... Well, well... They didn't make just one of them. But, f--k! I could almost smell it! Was just about to call USP to arrange delivery...  :sad:

The V4 is almost the same amp - minor differences in circuitry and reverb (which the "B" doesn't have), but totally workable.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 12:34:46 AM »
There are several V4's for sale on Ebay at the moment.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 03:51:03 AM »
As far as my expert witness says, there's a huge difference between the V4 and the V4B, as they work in different areas soundwise. He's got at least four of the B:s, but won't let go of any of them. :-[ And the V4B:s I can't find on Ebay. Except for one in the south of France. To get them from USA is to expensive for a simple guy like me. ??? If there ain't anyone with some economic ideas?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 05:26:21 AM »
If you're looking for more power and clean headroom out of a V4B, the hot ticket has always been to have the amp retrofitted with 6550s - however, you can probably expect a change in your tone as well.

You'll get a slight increase in headroom, but the 6550's require twice the bias of 6L6GC's/7027A's and will probably idle far too hot unless the bias circuit is modified but it's not worth the hassle. If you need more volume that badly, get a bigger amp, another V4 used in conjuction, or use more speakers. 6550's won't give the amp more than a 5-10 watt boost.

Actually, some later V-series amps carried a label on the back panel which read "7027A/6550 - Use one type only". I think there was a factory hop-up kit offered...

Not so on everything but the tube chart, and that's only half right. Ampeg did use 7027's and 7027A's and specify them, but it was because they got them at a discount from RCA, who was trying to use Ampeg's reputation for power to help sell them after the hifi market ignored them. A 7027 is just a 6L6GB / 5881 with extra screen grid connections, which are unused in Ampegs, and the 7027A is just a 6L6GC / 7581 with extra grid connections. If those connections were used in ultralinear configuration, then those tubes could potentially develop more power than their standard brethren in the right circuit, but there is no advantage to using them over a regular 6L6GC in Ampegs. The 6550 is a completely different tube, the next 'step up' in power in the US beam tetrode family of tubes: 6V6, 6L6, 6550.

Having said that, there's something about those 7027s that just flat out works in the V4B. Some have said that you can get similar results with a good NOS 6L6 type tube (like a 7581), but I have not had the chance to explore that.

I've got lots of both (and a couple of V4's). They're the SAME tubes.

As far as my expert witness says, there's a huge difference between the V4 and the V4B, as they work in different areas soundwise.

There isn't. There are only minor parts value differences in the preamps and one is easily converted to the other. Their power sections are the same. The quality and output of the power tubes makes a much bigger difference in sound than the amp being a "B." Any differences your expert hears are far more likely attributable to the quality of the tubes in the individual amps than the model designation.

He's got at least four of the B:s, but won't let go of any of them. :-[ And the V4B:s I can't find on Ebay. Except for one in the south of France. To get them from USA is to expensive for a simple guy like me. ??? If there ain't anyone with some economic ideas?

Get a 'regular' V4. They're more plentiful and not very popular as guitar amps, and hence, generally cheaper than V4B's. If you absolutely HAVE to have it to V4B specs, any decent tech can easily convert the preamp.