Author Topic: Serial Number  (Read 1143 times)

luve2fli

• View Profile
Serial Number
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
Hey all ..... looking at doing a swap for an American Special Precision Bass. I'm told the SN is US10126344 but I can't seem to trace down date of manufacture. Any ideas? I realize these are a recent addition to the Fender lineup, just curious if anyone here knows if that serial number puts the bass as a 2010 or 2011?

Thanks!
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Serial Number
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
If no joy here, take the question to the Fender Forum, they are obsessive about such stuff. 

You might also check http://home.provide.net/~cfh/fender.html
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Number
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
I read somewhere that last year US Fenders went to a 10 prefix with 6 numbers following but changed midyear to US10, supposedly to distinguish it as a prefix because the font on the 10 alone was too much like the other numbers. Don't know if that's accurate, or if they went to US11 for this year.

luve2fli

• View Profile
Re: Serial Number - Am. Special Precision Bass
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 08:32:09 AM »
It's a 2010 as Dave explained.

FWIW, it's really a great bass. I traded a 2011 MIM Fender Roadworn Jazz (not my cup o' tea) for it so I think I did OK. The Greasebucket tone circuit on these basses really does make quite a difference - all the punch of a traditional P bass but with much better highs and a much more "even" tone response. Pretty much standard MIA fit and finish although I'm not sure why they changed up the headstock decal. All in all, a thumbs up from me.

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)