Author Topic: $2.5. million Chinese yacht goes straight down on its maiden voyage  (Read 2118 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: $2.5. million Chinese yacht goes straight down on its maiden voyage
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 04:15:12 AM »
Chip (drummer) sang it with the Tremeloes, his voice had more of a country feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEs2nFwo-i8&feature=related

It's the song that had me falling in love for the first time with the American way of life. Why, you ask, it's a limey tune after all? It must have been early 1973 and I was making an introductory visit to The American School of Kinshasa, they were showing me around. I was a 7th grader then, but they also showed me 1st-6th grade classes all located in more or less one large compound, with everybody settling in various parts of the huge one room building for little class groups. It was a wonderous sight for someone from the more rigid German school system. So a math teacher sits with a couple of probably third graders cross-legged on the floor, we watch what they are doing, both the kids and the teacher ignore us completely, they are focused on their math. But then the teacher suddenly gets up, "let's make some music!", picks up an acoustic guitar and starts strumming and singing Yellow River (in a very melodious voice too) with the kids. German math teachers didn't do that nor did they sit on the floor. For me, it wasn't so much a culture shock as a cultural awakening.  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 10:06:58 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
None of my teachers did that either. But by the 70s, they might have.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 10:12:49 AM »
A lot of those guys had studied in Berkeley, going to a foreign American school as a teacher graduate was the thing to do back then. It was all very flower-powery, laid back and "Jesus loves you!" - but in a good way.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...