Author Topic: 2 x 12 bass cab  (Read 2122 times)

audiorep2

• View Profile
2 x 12 bass cab
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
I am thinking of getting into a light weight 2 x 12 cab. Like the specs on Genz Benz Uber and Neo versions. What is the sound quality difference between the two ?
I have always been old school JBL 15" guy.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: 2 x 12 bass cab
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I come out of the 15" JBL school, too..but I have mostly converted.

The Uber-bass cabs have the reputation of being pretty awesome, but I haven't played either.  

Both are rated 42-18K HZ, and both are pretty sensitive, at 101 and 102 dB 1W/1M.  The Uber is 10 pounds heavier, 63 lbs to 53 lbs.

I only have the single 12T Shuttle cab, and it's pretty solid as well.  But both the NEO and Uber cabs are generously ported, and they should sound fuller than a non-ported cab.

You may just have to find some and play them.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:55:39 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:35 PM »
I am thinking of getting into a light weight 2 x 12 cab. Like the specs on Genz Benz Uber and Neo versions. What is the sound quality difference between the two ?
I have always been old school JBL 15" guy.

They both sound very similar but the Neo cab is a little lighter in the low mids. They're lacking the upper mid bite of a JBL if you're attached to that, but with their solid lows and low mids, those cabs are outstanding.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
i mixed loads of bands at a venue here in wellington called the ruby lounge and the bass rig i liked the sound of best was an epi jcs through a shuttle amp and a neo 2 x 12 cab.george the bass player really liked the weight because the venue was upstairs.
Louder bass!.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »
i mixed loads of bands at a venue here in wellington called the ruby lounge and the bass rig i liked the sound of best was an epi jcs through a shuttle amp and a neo 2 x 12 cab. george the bass player really liked the weight because the venue was upstairs.

With the substitution of a 12T for the Neo 2x12, that's what I played in my last gig.  Everybody liked it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

audiorep2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
Used my new Genz 2x12 NEOT on Sat for first time. Using a Gallien 400 head, it was fabulous, at least in the audience. The on-stage sound did not knock me out.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:27:49 AM »
I play live with one or two Hellborg 2x12s. Not that heavy, but they sound gorgeous. Every amp sounds better with one of those cabs. I guess 12" is a nice mix between 10" and 15".

If I had money and a big car I would use a 4x10 and a 1x15. or a 2x15 and 6x10 :) But that won't happen, so those 2x12s are nice.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 03:44:37 AM »
The on-stage sound did not knock me out.

That's where the extra low mids of the non-Neo version would have made a big difference.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
don't own any neo stuff....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
Used my new Genz 2x12 NEOT on Sat for first time. Using a Gallien 400 head, it was fabulous, at least in the audience. The on-stage sound did not knock me out.

I think in addition to stage presence, the "missing" low mids of the neo's may be contributing to your perception of your sound as uneven, thus necessitating the compressor you discussed in the other thread. Compressors in general on bass tend to tone down the attack transients and tighten up the bottom, leaving you with a bass sound mostly defined by low midrange, so with the neo's missing that punch inherently, you're making up for it on the front end.