Author Topic: BaCHBird almost done.  (Read 4817 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: BaCHBird almost done.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:23:11 AM »
That looks great!

I actually like the BaCH logo on mine, especially the red one where you can see the outline. Now "Czech Brand" is a little odd...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 11:06:32 AM »
Its lookin' good, Chris!

Mine's a shameless clone too   :)

I never try to pass it off as Gibson if someone knows enough about old birds to to ask, though (happened at a couple gigs).  Too fantastic of a story behind these basses!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »
Look's great! I'd also add a bone nut instead of the stock black one just to complete the cosmetic vibe.

My pimped Epiphone IV

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »
Isn't there anyone, of you German or Dutch guys, who knows the name of the company who's got the neck pup covers? And, by the way Chris, what was the price for them?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
The covers (as in 'handrests' and not the actual pick up housing) are from US eBay. I believe both are NOS.

I also have two chrome pick up covers/housings. '70s T-Bird. Also NOS from US eBay.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 07:03:13 AM »
OK. I've been looking for those handrests (the neck ones) for years, on the Ebay, but almost never saw one... Seems really hopeless to find. And I want four! The bridge ones pops up all the time, though...
Hey, Sniper! You had ideas concerning production of these? Anything happening?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:15:26 AM by Stjofön Big »

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
been thinking about that project but that is all right now. the trip to Missouri for my friends funeral took all my funds. the project will take about 750$ of investment and i simply don't have it right now but it is not a forgotten project. this month i'm helping the g/f with her taxes on some small lots she has and i had to drop about 1600$ in my old van getting it up to snuff (inspected, repaired and tagged ... Texas law for vehicles brought into state). here it is in all its glory with a quarter million miles on it ... my fathers old van ... i call my urban assault vehicle.

the brake press is 300$ (plus needs die modified to be able to produce 2 different radiuses = $) and the metal sheet stock is 150$ (makes 20 a sheet) a pop on top of other manufacturing fees for some steps needed to make those things. i have been thinking about the process though (software patterning, cutting) and developing it in my mind while i'm broke.

hang in there!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
Sorry for you loss, Sniper. But glad about the news about the neck pup covers! I'll do as Dusty Springfield - Wishing and hoping!

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
Wow, you seem to be prepared for making those things at a large production rate. That's awesome! I know you'll be able to sell a bunch of them, god knows I'll take two right off the first batch.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
the thing that worries me is the learning curve for the bending as well as the modification to the press brake. its only a 10" table top brake but it has to have a backstop and guides to help with the alignment as well as the plate punch and die modified for the different radiuses (machine shop time!!!). the material is going to be 18 ga silver nickel plate.  polish it yourself to look like chrome or leave it alone for a nickel finish.

my target price is going to have to be close to 100$ on the bay or less if at all possible in here. any higher cost then it will not be right in my opinion. i would love to get them in at 75$ but we shall see. i will make them in lots of 20 at first not counting the ones i screw up in the learning process on the first sheet of material. i destroyed a few varitone plates learning the punch process with the tools i have.

back to the Bachbird thread = i don't mean to steal this thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:37:49 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2011, 06:11:45 AM »
No problem!