Author Topic: Compressor.....  (Read 2022 times)

audiorep2

• View Profile
Compressor.....
« on: October 11, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
I am using a Gallien 400B head. I am thinking of getting an older DBX 160A to put in the effects loop.
Does this make sense ?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Compressor.....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »
A compressor for level control isn't used in an effects loop unless it's a serial loop. However, if you're wanting to thicken your sound and still have all your playing dynamics you could use the compressor as an effect to taste in a parallel loop. Are you wanting more volume, more even tone or what? Anyway, for bass, a DBX 160A is pretty far from my first choice. They're great for 'jelling' a mix, but for bass, they'll kill your bottom and punch. There are better, cheaper compressors for bass.

audiorep2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
I am looking for more even sound.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »
Hey if its any help, I got some good info here on integrating a compressor into my rig:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=4428.0

I ended up with a DBX-166A, FMR RNC, and FMR RNLA.  After spending about a year with them, I can tell you that I use the 166A the most for just good, relatively transparent "evening out" of my live bass sound.  Think I paid about $80 for that unit used.

The RNLA leveling amp is nice effect too, but that one colors the sound and adds a thickness/grit.  Useful sometimes...

I don't care at all for the RNC.  I think that one is way over-hyped.  Prone to artifacts, and kinda futsy to dial-in as a result - at least in my experience with it.  It is transparent sounding, but I get much better results with the DBX in that space.

There were several pedal comps mentioned in that thread too.

Somewhere there is a huge (mind-numbingly huge!) "shootout" site evaluating various comps with bass.  If you search on Talkbass you'll probably see reference to it.  I spent hours digging through that.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
just about any compressor can give you the 'eveness' you want. i have a twenty dollar danelectro pedal that i have used for years for just that purpose. but here at the 'post i know the cheap answer is seldom the correct one. shop on!
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

audiorep2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »
I borrowed a DBX 160A yesterday. It solves my problem, and I don't hear it having any detremental effect on tone.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:17:28 AM »
I borrowed a DBX 160A yesterday. It solves my problem, and I don't hear it having any detremental effect on tone.

Glad it worked out for you. We don't have to agree on everything here, nor should we want to.

but here at the 'post i know the cheap answer is seldom the correct one.

I don't know where you got this impression, especially in THIS part of the forum, but you are extremely mistaken.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »

I don't know where you got this impression, especially in THIS part of the forum, but you are extremely mistaken.

Behringer Auto Comp Pro XL...lots o' knobs, switches and flashing lights of all colors.  Cheap and works good enough.  Has everything but its own litter box.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:11:22 PM »
never been a huge fan of compression..  when an amp has one built in i usually set at about 9 oclock at the most.  Used them more when i was a pick player.  After all these years i believe my hands can control my sound fairly well.  I heard the aphex punch is pretty good...  I love the aural exciter
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
Behringer Auto Comp Pro XL...lots o' knobs, switches and flashing lights of all colors.  Cheap and works good enough.  Has everything but its own litter box.

Second that. It's a cheap copy of the dbx 166A that actually has its own sound. Since the bad ones usually die crib deaths, if you have one that works, it probably will continue to, unlike many of Behringer's other products. I have an older pre-Pro XL (no separate limiter or gate) model that I would not hesitate to replace with a newer one if I needed to. They can be noisy, but that varies by unit. I also have an Alesis 3630, a model universally reviled for noise (nicknamed the dirty-six-thirty), that is dead quiet. I love to use it for sidechained shaped-frequency compression.

After all these years i believe my hands can control my sound fairly well.

Same here.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:25:22 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »
I prefer compressors that let you know when you are hitting the threshold. My personal favorite is the CAJ V-Comp tube compressor.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 05:50:44 PM »
When I feel I need it, I use a DOD FX82 stompbox. No complaints here.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 04:47:21 AM »
never been a huge fan of compression..  when an amp has one built in i usually set at about 9 oclock at the most.  Used them more when i was a pick player.  After all these years i believe my hands can control my sound fairly well.  I heard the aphex punch is pretty good...  I love the aural exciter

That makes perfect sense to me. When I used to play with a pick  and bright round wounds, the G string would tend to jump out at you. Finger picking and flat wounds seems to keep things a lot more even .
Rick