Author Topic: Surf bass?  (Read 2040 times)

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Surf bass?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Nice, needs some chrome pups thru.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
Love 'em!

Dean also makes a "Taxi" bass with a checkered design all along the sides -very, very cool.

Between my Univox 335-copy, Casady bass and Gretsch 5123, I'm trying to control myself before acquiring any more hollows or semi-hollows.  But the Artcore semi-hollows and the Deans keep catching my eye.

Fortunately that Ice Blue Coronado mentioned in the other thread is way above my pay grade.  Otherwise, I'd have G.A.S. in my heart.

Univox:

Casady:

Gretsch:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
Pilgrim, your orange Gretsch is on my top 5 list.  I love that bass.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:49:31 AM »
I'm glad it's a hollow, otherwise I'd have a serious GAS problem.......
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:21:03 AM »
Pilgrim, your orange Gretsch is on my top 5 list.  I love that bass.

Those were originally a 2010 black Friday special at Guitar Center, and that's the only place you can get a new one.  A very few have appeared on the used market, but mostly at new retail ($799) or higher.  Over the past few months, I and other fans of this model have been watching GC inventories and we've found that as the GC stores sell them, they keep mysteriously getting replacements, one by one. But Gretsch won't tell anyone anything about why the model is available, how many were made, or how long the availability will continue.  It's rather mysterious; it's possible they're using the GC special as a test market in order to decide whether to keep producing the 5123.

If that Gretsch gets high enough on your list that you want to find one, check with GC.  if they don't have one locally, they may be able to get one from another store.  I also know which hard cast fits it - there's a Road Runner case that's very reasonably priced.  I think we have one in the local GC and I would be glad to go there and test drive it if needed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
Pilgrim, your orange Gretsch is on my top 5 list.  I love that bass.

+1.  wish i could find one..  just sold my Rivoli so i have some scratch laying around...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
back to the dean.  Anyone try it.  Dean stuff is usually ok with weak electronics...  Is this a new model.  have never seen one.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
+1.  wish i could find one..  just sold my Rivoli so i have some scratch laying around...

Trot into any GC and ask them to search for a Gretsch G5123B and see if they can find one for you.  That's what I did - they found one in Denver and had it brought up on the next truck.

Or if you want me to see if the one is still here in Fort Collins, let me know and I'll test-drive it for you.  You could get it from the GC here.

back to the dean.  Anyone try it.  Dean stuff is usually ok with weak electronics...  Is this a new model.  have never seen one.

I've seen other Deans in that color.  They do show up, but I haven't tried one.  Try setting up a search for them on Ebay. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
i played an orange gretch at sitar center today. a very comfortable and playable short scale. the rear pick up got in way, however. ;)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead