Author Topic: Re-connected: Long Lost Mexi Precision...  (Read 3967 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re-connected: Long Lost Mexi Precision...
« on: August 09, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
I had a late eighties mexi precision with a passive EMG select pickup that one of my sons sort of "took over"...i just let him use it, and bought my first Dano...he gigged the precision  in a "punk" band for a while.

Well, 5 or 6 years later...he moved out, and didn't take it with him...he doesn't really play anymore (sold his amp to another sibling), so I sort of "re-possessed" it.

I set it up with Fender 7250's, and cleaned it up...it was a real mess. Case was so dirty, I had to vacuum it out.

It sounds cleaner and punchier and more responsive than any of my other basses...literally a "magic" kind of bass. Tons of highs and high mids.

For me, it seems like I buy different basses, but it all comes down to the fact that a passive precision sounds best, even before it's plugged in.  Doesn't matter if it's a mexi, long as it is well set up. Love the EMG Select pickup, also (cost $29.)...I don't care for the active "real" EMG's...

It felt like an old friend gigging on Saturday night...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Re-connected: Long Lost Mexi Precision...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:02:21 AM »
Very cool story! You here Ps every day so it's always familiar and like coming home....

But we need pics!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:32:46 AM »
Just because a bass is inexpensive doesn't mean it can't be a great bass! Glad you reconnected  with your old friend.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
I know it sounds silly, but the EMG Select split-P pickup is a very special unit. I have one in my Frankenstein P-Bass (along with a TB+). Even soloed, it sounds unlike any other P pickup that I have owned. Even the tech that installed the nut commented on how good it sounded. Go figure - I bought it because it was cheap. As Bob Ross would say, a "happy accident".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:02:48 PM »
Nice story but definitely need them pics... ;)

I have a bunch of EMG "Select" humbuckers that I really rate... one's going into the Andreas Demetriou custom rebuild I'm (sort of) working on that used to live in the Peter Cook...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »
I know it sounds silly, but the EMG Select split-P pickup is a very special unit. I have one in my Frankenstein P-Bass (along with a TB+). Even soloed, it sounds unlike any other P pickup that I have owned. Even the tech that installed the nut commented on how good it sounded. Go figure - I bought it because it was cheap. As Bob Ross would say, a "happy accident".

Please tell me that it's fat and round sounding and not thin and nasal like most cheap P-pickups. I'm pretty sure I have an early version of what became the Select in my passive Kramer Spector NS-2 and it's nice, but still not what I'm looking for to put in my tri-pickup Jazz.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:55:11 AM »
If I had to describe it, I would say it is identical to the stock pickup, with the exception that the mid to low mid bump on a stock precision is pushed up to a high-mid bump.  Gobs of hi mids and highs. Can be slapped without sounding "nasty".

Probably not "fat and round"...more like surgically clean, but still passive and sounds like a traditional p-bass.

Hope this helps.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:59:14 AM »
That's exactly NOT what I need.   :o

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 06:22:01 PM »
I have an EMG Select P in my mini P bass. Sounds bloody great to me!
Digresion our specialty!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 05:15:33 PM »
Played a half set on it Saturday night...it just screams...

I can slap on it with no thought between head and fingers....total auto pilot.

Have played my sixer for well over a year, and I still can't finesse the narrow string spacing while slapping...certainly can't make it "talk" like the Precision...that being said the sixer allows more complex harmonics, and a lot of different stuff that you can't get on a fourbanger...specially since we're old, the sixer makes it easier to lower the key to where the band can sing it.

I need to have the band arrange the sets so I can play the Precision more...It seems there's always a couple of tunes in there that demand a low "B", though, that knock a fourbanger out of the set.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:32:30 AM by patman »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:52:59 AM »
Glad you have your old friend back!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:26:13 AM »
Still no pics. I don't believe a word of this  :mrgreen:

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »
Seriously...I don't have a device with which to make pics...maybe one of my kids could help.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
Seriously...I don't have a device with which to make pics...maybe one of my kids could help.

No cell phone with camera?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 05:20:20 PM »
if there is anyone here who has never seen a p bass......
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead