Author Topic: Finally Tried a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0  (Read 6287 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Finally Tried a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
BTW- to return to the original topic...search the classifieds on Talkbass and you often can find nice used Shuttles.

That's exactly how I got mine.

So far it's my favorite amp I've owned hands down.

(if I recall correctly that list would consist of: early-80s roland cube 60, 80s peavey TNT-130, Randall RB140 or something, GK 200RB, Eden WT500, Eden WT300, Thunderfunk 400, AI Clarus, AI Focus II, AI Focus III, Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0.)

Not only is it ridiculously loud for something so small (way way louder than the AI Focus III I used to have), the preamp is very easy to use and sounds good with very little tweaking.

The overdrive from pushing the gain hard isn't bad either, works for me anyway.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
That's exactly how I got mine.

So far it's my favorite amp I've owned hands down.

(if I recall correctly that list would consist of: early-80s roland cube 60, 80s peavey TNT-130, Randall RB140 or something, GK 200RB, Eden WT500, Eden WT300, Thunderfunk 400, AI Clarus, AI Focus II, AI Focus III, Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0.)

Not only is it ridiculously loud for something so small (way way louder than the AI Focus III I used to have), the preamp is very easy to use and sounds good with very little tweaking.

The overdrive from pushing the gain hard isn't bad either, works for me anyway.

I agree on all counts!  I have never been able to understand why some people think it lacks power.  To me it's VERY loud.  I also find that the slight OD from the tube preamp sounds very warm and pleasing.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 05:18:50 AM »
I agree on all counts!  I have never been able to understand why some people think it lacks power.  To me it's VERY loud.  I also find that the slight OD from the tube preamp sounds very warm and pleasing.

When you turn the volume up it stays incredibly clean and defined, unless you crank the preamp and gain. I think that this deceives a lot of people who associate that lack of clean with loud. Even when you do crank the preamp , it just warms it and gives it a pushy sound, not full blown overdriven distortion that is bordering on a fuzztone. If full blown overdrive is what you're looking for this is not the amp you want.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
If full blown overdrive is what you're looking for this is not the amp you want.
Rick

Problem solved...I have the Scott Humphreys bass mod version...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 05:27:30 AM »
Problem solved...I have the Scott Humphreys bass mod version...

I didn't mean I thought it was a problem , I like it just the way it is ;D. That one little tube gives it all the gain and push I want. On a lot of solid states the gain or overdrive control is pretty close to a fuzztone, on the Shuttle it is not, and that is just right for my taste. As I mentioned earlier,even the boost controls are toned down a bit from what many amps do for boost. At first I saw this as a negative, but it actually works much better being a bit more subtle. When I hit the bass boost or the treble boost  on my Seymour Duncan amp, I have to back the volume down a bit on the instrument or I will bury the rest of the band, not to mention vibrating unattended glasses off the bar. When hitting a boost switch on the Shuttle, it gives you just enough to stand out for a solo or to exagerate a line. It's not like pulling the pin on a grenade. The Shuttle head brings so much clarity and volume to my Avatar cabinet, it's like I bought new speakers too. No complaints from me...........only praise ;D
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
Cool, it just gave me the chance to share a photo.

I only use that box on one or two numbers a night - things like Jack the Ripper.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »
It's no fuzztone, true, but on anything other than my low-output Danelectro (90's model DC2), there is way more gain and grit available than I need.  Lately I favor my Gibson LPB1 and set the gain around 1:00 or maybe 2:00.

When I need more, like Pilgrim I have a secret weapon:

... the Keeley-modded version, that is. Most transparent overdrive I've found so far.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

rich briere

• "Do Unto Others"
    • View Profile
    • Rich Briere
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 10:32:59 AM »
I've dealt with and worked for quite a few manufacturers through the years and have NEVER found a Company as easy to get along with as Genz-Benz. When I had a Genz Go down on me, I called and had a NEW amp on my doorstep the next morning. The part of that deal which impressed me the most is that they wanted the bad amp BACK.....to take it apart and see what caused the problem. Then they followed up to make sure I was fine with the replacement. IMHO....the Finest Manufacturer I've ever had the Pleasure of Playing With.....bar none.  "Gotta' Getta' Genz!"

I Believe it may have been Pilgrim who commented on their 12" cabs. Outstanding........Truly.

Bass-ically Yours,
RB
I've Always Found it Best to Use MY Name on Things I Write...It Cuts Down on the Confusion...... Bass-ically Yours.......RB

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 01:30:10 PM »
I played a Genz combo once (I think it was a 2x12, but it might have been a 2x10) and its sound was incredibly pushy, even penetrating, I've never heard myself so well on a stage even with much larger rigs. It was a "make way for me!"-sound, clean and mighty, but not sterile. Played it with my Epi Explorer with TB Plus pups and that bass with that rig commanded air superiority over all other instruments all night.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:34:03 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »
I played a Genz combo once (I think it was a 2x12, but it might have been a 2x10) and its sound was incredibly pushy, even penetrating, I've never heard myself so well on a stage even with much larger rigs. It was a "make way for me!"-sound, clean and mighty, but not sterile. Played it with my Epi Explorer with TB Plus pups and that bass commanded air superiority over all other instruments all night.

Since I bought this amp I find myself using the word "Definition"  much more than I ever did before. If there is a better word I need to find it  because I'm beating the hell out of "Definition" ;D
Rick