Author Topic: Do you like to have a drink or two before a gig?  (Read 3927 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Re: Do you like to have a drink or two before a gig?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:26:26 AM »
I don't think Miss Winehouse just had a few drinks too many. She looks like she took a huge shot of heroin just before she staggered upon stage. She has no idea which universe she's in.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 06:17:33 AM »
demons and windmills can be horrible at times. good luck amy. i still don't care for your work, but thats not important.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:33 AM »
Now that Rob says it, it might indeed not be just alcohol. i rember a patt i Smith gig where patti had shot herself heroin just before the gig and her motorics were similar. She sang a lot better though.

I sometimes have a beer before a gig, but I don't have to have one. But 99% of my alcoholic intake is wine with food.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:29 AM »

Lately my alcohol intake is 100% Single Malt Scotch neat + a soda water on the backside.  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »
According to The Sun, she sneaked a stash of booze backstage.

As long as people keep idolizing her, expect to see more of the same. Hopefully she'll retire, that way she can feed her problems in private.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 01:49:31 PM »
 I am not a fan but I hope she gets her act together. She has been offered a rare chance to be a successful artist and by that I mean pay the bills (and then some) and be adored by her fans. It's a waste anyway you slice it. Amy get some help.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:36:10 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 09:27:11 PM »
I have some sympathy for those who struggle with substance abuse -- if they're actually struggling to stop. With Amy, we really don't know whether she's struggling with it or embracing it. Either way, though, at the end of the day, it's a choice.  She's responsible for her own actions.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:23 AM »
Tour has been cancelled now. Off to rehab now I guess.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 06:49:11 AM »
Tour has been cancelled now. Off to rehab now I guess.

I've heard it said before, and can attest to it, that nobody really quits anything until they truly want to.  Unless a person really wants to stop any vice, no set of rules can take away the temptation or urge.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 07:32:15 AM »
I've heard it said before, and can attest to it, that nobody really quits anything until they truly want to.  Unless a person really wants to stop any vice, no set of rules can take away the temptation or urge.

I agree.  Up to that point, you're just going through the motions.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 07:48:13 AM »
Boy in the old days anything before/during a gig was cool.  Except anything that would really negatively affect my voice.  no cigs....

my abuses are now down to basses/amps and food.   The later can be destructive of one's health,  the former of ones marriage....  both usually slower acting....

As far as drinking at a show.  Very seldom do i drink before usually because i am stressing out till the last second as i usually am the sound man too.  When we have a sound man i will have one bourbon before playing then just diet cokes until the end of the night.  Usually have a beer or two once the equipment is broken down and loaded...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Chaser001

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:08 AM »
When it comes to beer, it really has to be a brand I like.  I've got some Miller in the refrigerator that I'm going to pour out later today.  I just can't stand it.  I prefer imported beer, but drinking that has to be on a limited basis since it tends to get too expensive. 

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
If I don,t have to sing I party, But if I'm singing lead just ice water.
Tony

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
If I don,t have to sing I party, But if I'm singing lead just ice water.

You should try drinking water with no ice.  The ice can constrict your vocal cords.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 12:25:19 PM »
You should try drinking water with no ice.  The ice can constrict your vocal cords.

+1  I was forced into to taking a class on public speaking and presentations - ugh, was that torture >:(  One of the things that I did find usefull was that you should only drink water at room temperature - nothing cold, sweet, no citrus etc.  The cold will constrict your vocal cords and all the other stuff can cause problems as well