Author Topic: 2011 Subarus  (Read 1941 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
2011 Subarus
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »

My much loved 1999 needed some normal but heavy work on two separate occasions recently, so I opted to take it to my local dealer as he offers loaners - a great oppourtunity to have an extended test drive!
 The first time I was issued the new, much larger Outback, I'll admit I have a bias with it already - it's too big! I did actually find it to be nice in terms of quality inside and out, it's a tame driver tho, with that pleasant Subaru burble that you get when you get on the pedal being much harder too find. I was a bit disappointed here, the car seems abit pedestrian overall and it's tending towards a lot of gadgets on the inside - pretty far removed from my '99. Were I buying, I'd likely take a pass here, it's too big and a bit lame.

The second round of work gave me the chance to drive a new Forester which, while still bigger than my Outback seems to have retained a bit more of the spirit of what makes Subaru's great cars. The new Forester still feels like my Outback when I drive it, it can get up and go and it feels good in a turn. The interior is a bit simpler and the overall feel is more towards practicle and less to luxury - I wanted to load this car for a road trip to the Olympic Peninsula and hit U.S. 101 northbound from Aberdeen to Forks for that wonderful, twisting, untraveled beautiful road! I didn't get the chance, but I'd be a very happy buyer if I were needing a new Subaru. Mine, after a new set of shocks, struts and a replace thermostat feels great tho 185K young :)   

It likes the garage :)

A little bit of my Blue Heaven, the Washington coast on 5/18/2011, a remarkably warm day, I was in shirtsleeves! U.S. 101 bliss :)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: 2011 Subarus
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:13:50 AM »
I have a 2009 Tribeca after 2000 and 2003 Outbacks.  I really like the tribeca alot.  Sitting up higher has helped my back on long trips and it holds a sh@tload of equipment.  I usually haul half or more of the PA along with my bass rig with 3 of my bands  so the extra space is valuable..  Mileage is on the crappy side.  Usually 18 with pure highway at about 21....

My wife recently turned in her SUV with only 1 kid left in the house  (2 in college)  and went with the Legacy Sedan.  IMHO a great car.  really drives well and peppy,  really hugs the road. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
I had a Tribeca as a loaner & it was the most fun SUV I have driven. really cornered nicely. Bad part with Subies is poor MPG.

Both the new Forrester & Outback are SUV's now no longer feeling like cars when you drive them. I will pass next time on both. I still like a car based sport wagon. The new Acura TSX wagon looks nice as does the new Ford Focus wagon / hatchback. For an all wheel drive wagon choices are slime Audi, BMW , Volvo & VW are the other choices.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:09:48 AM by Barklessdog »

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
Thunderbirds and Subarus make a very odd couple, cosmetically.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 03:49:37 PM »
For an all wheel drive wagon choices are slime Audi, BMW , Volvo & VW are the other choices.

I've got a Mazda CX-9 being delivered next week.  Plenty of room, drives beautifully, and nice looking.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »
The Subaru service asdvisor we used recently tells me that the Tribeca is gone after this year - no news on if it gets replaced.  Also, according to the same guy, they got the 2011 MPG up one whole mile per gallon by going with a metal timing chain and specifying synthetic oil.  I don't think that Subaru's basic 4 cylinder has really ever been changed. 

We'll be in the market in the next year or two and we'd love to buy a Forestor but the nearest dealership is 32 miles away though heavy traffic and that's to damn far of a drive for service here in Houston.  There is noise that someone will be putting a new dealership in with five miles of my house - hoping for the best.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »
Colorado is kinda Subaru/Jeep land. With the warm summers and snowy winters plus skiing, everyone likes AWD in various flavors.

Personally, I'm liking my Nissan Murano...turns in at least 20 MPG highway, occasionally 22-25.  Lots of room, fun to drive.  My daughter has a jeep Cherokee that's getting old, and is considering the low-end Jeeps and the Nissan Rogue.

This photo was taken before I added the big Cougar logo on the back window, small Coug logos on each rear side widows, Coug license plate rings front and back, and a Cougar head trailer hitch insert.  Subtlety is important!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
stay away from the jeep liberty.  Got a 2006 for my daughter.  What a POS.  hopefully no one here has one.... :-[
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
stay away from the jeep liberty.  Got a 2006 for my daughter.  What a POS.  hopefully no one here has one.... :-[

Ditto.  I rented one about 2007 and really didn't like it at all.  It drove very stiff, and was a little on the loud side.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 03:21:17 PM »
I have an '05 Subaru Legacy GT wagon. It's just like an Outback with different trim and a lower ride heigth. And a turbo that makes it scoot. The back bumper is at just the right place to lean a big 2 x 15" cab on it and slide it in. I love it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »
stay away from the jeep liberty.  Got a 2006 for my daughter.  What a POS.  hopefully no one here has one.... :-[

I rode in one and wasn't impressed, either.  Anyone tried the Jeep Patriot?  I checked reviews at Edmunds.com and they don't have much to say about either the Liberty or Patriot that's positive.

I'm thinkin' that Nissan Rogue might be better for her...and it has better reviews.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:15:37 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »

My wife has a 2003 Liberty Limited, V6,power everything, and it's been a very good vehicle.  The only real problem is the rear window assemble breaks about every 2 years.  The radiator cracked 2 days before the extended warrant expired  ;D - service writer loved that one.

Still, I refuse to buy another Chrysler product and have long hated Chevy's.  If we can't get a Subaru when this one goes I may be looking at Ford.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
About 16 months ago, I bought a 2010 Toyota 4Runner, first time in 23 years without a pickup. I've been real happy with it. It get's over 20 MPG & is fun to drive. Truck based SUV's seem to be on the outs with most people these days.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 03:11:09 AM »
I rode in one and wasn't impressed, either.  Anyone tried the Jeep Patriot?  I checked reviews at Edmunds.com and they don't have much to say about either the Liberty or Patriot that's positive.

I'm thinkin' that Nissan Rogue might be better for her...and it has better reviews.

I would also check out Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV & Mitsubishi Outlander.