Author Topic: Robert Palmer with Andy Fraser?  (Read 5955 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Robert Palmer with Andy Fraser?
« on: May 09, 2011, 04:42:52 AM »

Rupert Hine on PPG and maybe Jess Roden on co-lead but is that Mr. Fraser playing the Washburn bass? He played on two tracks on "Clues" and of course wrote "Every Kinda People" for Robert.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Palmer with Andy Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:30:01 AM »
I'm aware that Herr Fraser lives in California since the late seventies where the sun shines a lot and that he was/is - like many Californians - rather body conscious (as his penchant for open shirts shows), but I don't think he achieved that shade of a tan!  :o Or more bluntly: The bass player in the clip is black, Fraser wasn't and to the best of my knowledge still isn't.  :mrgreen:

Pigmentation aside, the whole look ain't right either. By the early eighties, Andy was a gay man having come out of the closet and to grips with his sexuality which he had denied in the seventies (his first gay experience was very long after his Free career, he writes on his web site, and it took him some time to come to terms with it, he was a hetero-married man and had children). Accordingly, he had changed his look from hippie child to something a little more alluring to men similarly inclined.

And finally: Fraser always had a chip on his shoulder about wanting to sing and not being allowed to be the lead singer - having Paul Rodgers in the band really doesn't help your aspirations in that respect. He even left The Sharks because he couldn't stand Snips' singing and felt he could do a better job.  By 1980 I think he would have gladly sung together with Robert Palmer, but certainly not played solely bass in his backing band (incidentally: Palmer was a capable bass player in his own right, it was his favorite instrument and he did a lot of writng on it).  Andy had worked years getting away from the image "Andy Fraser - the (hetero) Free bass player" to "Andy Fraser - the (gay) singer and songwriter". (I find his singing a bit affected and will eternally prefer his bass playing, but it doesn't mean anything to him anymore judging from more recent interviews.)

If now someone makes a case of this being Andy after all than I stand corrected!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 07:06:08 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »
By 1980 I think he would have gladly sung together with Robert Palmer, but certainly not played solely bass in his backing band

I think this was just a band put together for this occasion (The Tube, 1981 or 82?) as there was Rupert Hine and Jess Roden included. Anyway, you're probably very right about the bassist not being Andy.

Speaking of his singing: I like his first solo album "Andy Fraser Band" with some dense Fender Rhodes and bass pedals and strange sounding lead bass from Andy (no guitars). His vocals sound a lot like Paul Rodgers but of course not as good but the songs are great.

Here's another clip from the same show:
http://youtu.be/5MorRuPau50

In the beginning Jools says something about Marvin Gaye's bass player...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »
He sings well, no doubt about it. And I guess the fact that after he based his bass playing on that of a black man (Jamerson) he now has painstakingly African-Americanized his vocal style should not surprise anybody too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgyg7BNU8c&feature=related

But with all due respect, Andy, for the difficult choices you had to make in your life: That 'tache has to go.  :mrgreen: And button that shirt while you're at it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:13:21 AM »

But with all due respect, Andy, for the difficult choices you had to make in your life: That 'tache has to go.  :mrgreen: And button that shirt while you're at it.

And get a haircut. And please use a bass guitar (or guitar even) while you're singing. Your stage performance looks awfully unaccustomed / not at ease without it.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that Andy Fraser was half black - I think it was in a Free/Bad Co. bio that I since sold so I can't check, and can't find an internet reference...

Yup - found a reference - scroll down to the Phil Lynott/mulatto question. When I found this out, it made sense to me.

Oh, and after watching the video I don't think it's Andy Fraser either.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:37:08 AM by hieronymous »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
And get a haircut. And please use a bass guitar (or guitar even) while you're singing. Your stage performance looks awfully unaccustomed / not at ease without it.

At least a hand held mic and maybe a stand.  :-\

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
I didn't know about his dual-ethnic backround! (Phew, did I circumvent using the word "mulatto" elegantly?! I think it's not entirely pc anymore ...  :-X )

Admittedly, that puts things into perspective. Also explains the Michael Jackson influence of this here  :rolleyes: :

No, that is not him as the Indian exchange student initially, he arrives in MJ - Beat it Mode at around 0.34 ... Don't watch this if you really hated the 80ies. Or do watch it to be reminded why.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:03:13 AM by uwe »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
Looks like a parody on a parody  :o

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »
I prefer Robert Palmer with Pierre Brock on bass.  His playing on Double Fun and Secrets is amazing.  He played on Every Kind Of People and is featured in this video.  Bob Babbitt played on a different mix of the song (maybe the radio 45?) but I prefer the LP version featuring Brock.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
I prefer Robert Palmer with Pierre Brock on bass.  His playing on Double Fun and Secrets is amazing.  He played on Every Kind Of People and is featured in this video.  Bob Babbitt played on a different mix of the song (maybe the radio 45?) but I prefer the LP version featuring Brock.

That is a great song and a very convincing steel pan patch on a Micro-Moog (or Multi-Moog).:)

My favourite Robert Palmer album is "Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley". Features The Meters, Lowell George, Bernard Purdie, Winwood etc.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:29:55 AM »
Robert Palmer was an amazing artist who managed to put out very convincing records in a wide range of musical styles. From the funky Meters/Little Feat style from Sneaking Sally Through The Alley , to the Hardrock of the Powerstation up till the very last album Drive with the Blues.
And I like all of them! What a loss. RIP.

Hornisse

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
+1 Pekka and Basvarken!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
Robert Palmer was an amazing artist who managed to put out very convincing records in a wide range of musical styles. From the funky Meters/Little Feat style from Sneaking Sally Through The Alley , to the Hardrock of the Powerstation up till the very last album Drive with the Blues.
And I like all of them! What a loss. RIP.

I have always admired the simple, sheer visual impact of lining up babes in black dresses, severe hairdos, and red lipstick.  The visuals in Addicted To Love were strangely compelling.  (Reminds me of Ralphie's line in A Christmas Story about "the soft glow of electric sex gleaming in the window...")
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:11 PM »
I loved Pressure Drop, if for no other reason than Palmer wanted Jamerson on the record. Not many people were hiring Jamerson anymore, but it was good showing.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty