Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 32953 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:05 AM »
I think the SG is more transparent sounding and agile, but doesn't have the ooomph-authority of the Junior, the Junior is denser in tone. Very much a matter of taste, most modern day bassists would probably prefer the SG, but since when is this forum one of modern day bassists?!  :mrgreen:

For those bitten by the mud-bug, the Junior is closer to it than the SG, though still not there (which by rights a commercially sensible bass these days couldn't and shouldn't be).   
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
Seriously, if my SG had sounded this good, I would have kept it.  The rest of the band noticed it too.  I have to say it gives me Gretsch ThunderJet a run for its money in tone and playability.

Wow!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
I think the SG is more transparent sounding and agile, but doesn't have the ooomph-authority of the Junior, the Junior is denser in tone.

But the question is ( now that it has surfaced in a Germany web-store  :mrgreen: ): how does it compare to the Elite EB-3  :mrgreen:. Does it tonally fit in between the Elite and the SG Standard ? I suspect the Junior has more bite due to the TB-Plus PUPs ?
Experience is the ultimate teacher

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2011, 04:54:57 PM »
I think the SG is more transparent sounding and agile, but doesn't have the ooomph-authority of the Junior, the Junior is denser in tone. Very much a matter of taste, most modern day bassists would probably prefer the SG, but since when is this forum one of modern day bassists?!  :mrgreen:

For those bitten by the mud-bug, the Junior is closer to it than the SG, though still not there (which by rights a commercially sensible bass these days couldn't and shouldn't be).   

Right on target Uwe.  The Jr tonality is much more to my tastes.  I want heavy bass without total bellowing and mudacity.  I'm happy with it!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bruce Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 19, 2024, 02:52:06 PM »
A reviving of a 13 year old thread.
Got to say I surprised by the huge amount of negativity regarding the 2011 limited edition EB-11 bass back in the day.

I just recently bought one of these and, I think its a an absolutely gorgeous bass that not only plays well but sounds fantastic to boot. IMHO it sounds nothing like the SG Standard I have, As much as I like the SG this thing totally rocks.

Wondering if anyone has tried one out over the last decade and changed there opinion on it.

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 19, 2024, 02:58:13 PM »
This popped up in my Inbox. Wow, it's been so long since my last time to this forum. Heartbroken to know that Bill's long gone. RIP drbassman

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 19, 2024, 03:04:45 PM »
I’ve never seen an EB-11 in the flesh , but I did buy a LP DC Jr , and fell in love with it. I like shortscales. They’re still on the website but are said to be out of production , I’m hoping they’ll do another run. Simply because I think they’re fine little things and think more people might enjoy them.

Bruce Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 19, 2024, 04:53:33 PM »
I agree, I also have the LP DC Tribute Jr. It is a great bass .................

Sure wish there was some kind of rhyme or reason to "what Gibson does", lol