Author Topic: Just what we needed ...  (Read 4638 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Just what we needed ...
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
the fact is many bands don't have bassplayers. some bands don't have guitarists or drummers either. it all depends on the music. don't pity the poor bass player.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
the fact is many bands don't have bassplayers. some bands don't have guitarists or drummers either. it all depends on the music. don't pity the poor bass player.

True enough, but The Cars did have a bassist, and bass was part of their music. Besides, if I pay to see a band playing live, I don't expect to see one or two band members replaced by recorded parts.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 07:03:57 AM »
So why is there a bass guiter and SVT rig onstage?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
I suppose for appearances, like guitarists who have big banks of amps just for show. Or maybe they did use it for a number.

The reviewer has been around for years, if he says the bass was recorded, I'll take his word for it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:37 AM »
Wot? No bassist? I'm aghast.

Should have asked me, I can play nicely new wavish if desired.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 11:54:54 PM »
Noticing that the bass is a shorty I would guess that a guitarist plays it at some stage of the show although after Allen Woody died Govt Mule continued touring without a bassist and Woodys rig was still setup onstage each night.
Digresion our specialty!

Chaser001

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »
I was just going to say. In a German interview Ocasek added that the only bassist they fleetingly considered was Melissa auf der Maur, who has played with Ocasek on solo tours (singing Drive too) and who Ric knows since he produced some songs of the band of the wife of the late Seattle toe-triggerer.

I understand the commemorative aspect, but playing everything with a click and no variation whatsoever (not that The Cars were The Grateful Dead ever as regards improvisation!) is a huge price to pay. And I don't think that Orr would have minded Fräulein auf der Maur playing his runs, worse things can happen to you after you're dead. If someone is going to step on your grave (s)he should at least wear stilettos. Stylish form of grass ventilation with more acidified soil too, incidentally.  :vader:

And something tells me that Orr himself would have perhaps preferred to not be replaced by a bass loop?  :-\
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:48:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...