Author Topic: Hipshot Ric bridge  (Read 11492 times)

SeanS

• View Profile
Re: Hipshot Ric bridge
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 12:03:31 AM »
Ah, good point and I agree the 1 has a certain meat to it, it also looks the business too like it's name i suppose. I have a 2 on my Jazz and my Precision, although I can't tell on the Jazz, the Precision just sounds brighter, perhaps not the best thing for a Precision.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 04:59:30 AM »
If you want a meaty and bassy sound for your J or P bass, keep the stock bent bridge. If you own a Geddy J that has a factory installed BA-II and you want more lows, get a vintage-style bridge. The bent bridges don't look as neat as the BA (remember they were designed to be hidden under a chrome cover) but they do an excellent job. That's been my experience anyway.

Now can we please return to Ric (or Hipshot) content?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Sorry Ilan  ;)
Digresion our specialty!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »
 ;D
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

bassmachine2112

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 01:13:31 AM »
hi,I,ve got a hipshot on my 99 4003 and the problem I had was the grub screws kept winding down.
Solution a small wrap of plumbers ptfe tape on the threads-remember to wind in the opposite direction of rotation or it will unravel-anticlockwise orlefty loosey

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
Yeah, you'd have to rout an additional space for the Badass I bridge on the Ric as well.  Geddy got a badass tone on Farewell To Kings though.

I used to use the Badass II bridges on my Rics, which don't require routing, but it leaves a big hole where the Ric bridge was recessed. Geddy put a plastic ring around the bridge to hide it. I inlayed maple in mine.  Later I switched the Schaller roller bridge.

Rics have no neck angle, so it's hard to get a bridge where the strings don't rattle on the saddles.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 07:47:02 AM »
Thats what Routers are for  ;) ;D

The Badass I was made for Gibson basses, which is why it's so tall. The Badass II was made for Fenders, so you don't have to recess the bass. It sits right on top.

[edit] I just read why you used it