Author Topic: Telemaster Bass  (Read 4287 times)

untune

• View Profile
Telemaster Bass
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:24:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been snooping around here for a little bit looking at some of the projects, all of which look fantastic.  I thought I'd join up and share the one I'm having made at the moment, it's Thunderbird inspired to some degree!  It's a mix of the Telecaster and Jazzmaster, routed for a standard 4 string soapbar in the Jazz neck/Thunderbird position.

It's in the finishing process at the moment (going to be white) and this is the most recent picture I have of it at the moment from the luthier.  I've asked for some of the painting process but not had any reply yet.

I've been struggling to find a fairly decent pickup for it that's within my budget.   I sortof overshot it because I didn't originally intend to have it finished, I was going to paint it myself, but time limitations and lack of equipment made me decide to have it done properly.  If anyone has any suggestions on a pickup I could use please share - it's the size of a Seymour Duncan SSB-4 or an EMG 35.  I'm really not a fan of the modern ringy metallic tone of EMG though.  I emailed BaCH to see if they sold the chrome soapbars from their Thunderbird copies - Roman replied and said yes but that they were waiting for a restock so I doubt it's going to happen to be honest.  I think a chrome Thunderbird pup would look/sound great in it :D  But I'm not sure about dimensions and they're not very readily available...

Anyways if anybody has any ideas do share!

Cheers :)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Telemaster Bass
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »
 I have a Bach chrome soapbar, $20 bucks it's yours. Cool looking build !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

untune

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
Thanks a lot! :)

Ooh really, can you comment on the tone of them?  I've picked up bits of info from reading around but it's good to hear what people think - also what would it cost inc. shipping to the UK?

Cheers :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »
Very cool looking project! Keep us posted with pictures.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »
I like the way that's shaping up!  Nice!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
The Artec that was in my BaCH sounded great!  It was "vintagey", warm, punchy, etc...  For the money, you really can't go wrong with that, if that's the sound you're after.

I wouldn't do it to save money, but if you'd enjoy it finishing was kinda fun.  I did my BaCH Thunderbird and just used rattle cans with lacquer from Reranch, and it came out really good for a first timer - thanks to all the good advice here, and the tutorials up on their site: 
http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

White is a pretty forgiving color to spray too.  Not sure if you can ship their products overseas(?), or maybe find a local source...

In any case, cool project!  :toast:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 02:13:59 AM »
The BaCH Artec doesn't compare to either the Duncan SSB or EMG Hz (passive, doesn't sound like an active EMG) IMO.  You can find either on Ebay used for $50 or less.

This 35 soapbar from Bezdez sounds great for the price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200550467101&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT 

Cool project and I agree, white is the easiest finish.  Automotive rattlecans work well.

untune

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

I don't really have the facilities for painting (or the weather!) right now and on top of that I really just want to play it asap, university is drawing to a close now though and my workload is fairly high so I doubt I'd have the time to paint it properly.  I'm having it done with nitro so it should age nicely anyway :)

The Artec sounds like it might be just the ticket for now.  I think secretly I want to put something cheap in it at first just so I can have the satisfaction of swapping it out for something better later on ;D

I think it would be great with a proper Chrome TBird pup on it, is it still possible to get the covers?  I could have something made over here at some point... I know there are a couple of aftermarket ones like Lull but a bit out of my price range...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
The BaCH Artec doesn't compare to either the Duncan SSB or EMG Hz (passive, doesn't sound like an active EMG) IMO.  You can find either on Ebay used for $50 or less.

This 35 soapbar from Bezdez sounds great for the price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200550467101&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT 

Cool project and I agree, white is the easiest finish.  Automotive rattlecans work well.

bezdez also seels that pickup in white
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »
Interesting...

Welcome to the den of iniquity finiquity... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

untune

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:21:40 AM »
Many thanks for the welcome :)

untune

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
Does anybody know where I can get empty soapbar covers (EMG35 sized, 89mmx35mm) preferably in the UK?  I could do with a couple, want to try mounting a single coil inside one, but the only ones I can find are for sale in the USA, and the postage cost is ridiculous :-\

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 05:08:10 AM »
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 05:48:17 AM »
try here
http://www.guitarjonesusa.com/catalog/store.php

Thanks Shadow, I hadn't seen this site before,  Some handy stuff there!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
always a pleasure!
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed