Author Topic: Quick 4001 Question  (Read 2054 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Quick 4001 Question
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:14:19 AM »
Long story short, I'm thinking about "swapping" my 78 4001 MG (that I've had since I was a teen!  They were cheap back in the mid-late 80s!) for an older Jetglo 4001.  I know its superficial, but I've never been a huge fan of MG (chose it because it was the best player of the bunch that was available at the shop).  JG is where its at for me!

So... I've been kicking around the idea of buying a black one, make sure its a good fit for me, and then flipping my MG.

This '73 popped up today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130503288717&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

...and I'm wondering if $2090 is a decent price for this?

Also, what (roughly) could I expect to see for a *beautiful* '78 MG with OHSC?

Thanks for any info!  I'm not very well informed on Rics, and any advice is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:22:50 AM by chromium »

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Quick 4001 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:38:04 PM »
That's a good price for a late '73 (short inlays and plain binding) as long as there are no neck/truss rods issues. The neck toaster looks like a reissue to me. Still, the RI's are good pickups. It's also missing the thumb screws for the mute.

IMHO based on what I see on eBay recently, $1,500-1,600 would be a fair price for your '78 MG.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:37:47 AM »
Sounds like a good swap, I would give them a call and see what they will take, cash etc.
      The fretboard looks like it's started separating at the nut, this is an easy fix though for a luthier that's been here before.

Sell your 78 carefully and you should get a similar sum back and get to keep your ohsc too, a one/two owner 4001 that's been looked after is quite desirable.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
Thanks guys - that helps a lot.  I've been back and forth with this particular one (the Olivia's bass), but I might follow my gut and hold out for a 72 or early 73.  That's what I'd really want.  I saw one last night on RR that went for not too much more than this back in Feb, and if I off the 78 and my Guild I could swing that.   

Here's to the dark side!  :vader:  :toast:

SeanS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:51:41 PM »
I went down the same route as you, had a BG 79 since 82 and just loved it, but always wanted a JG, looked at the 73's and saw that more desirable features were available in 72, so I found one and went for it and managed to hold on to the 79. Very pleased I hung out for this period 4001. Best of luck, oh I think my NBDay thread is down the line somewhere.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
I went down the same route as you, had a BG 79 since 82 and just loved it, but always wanted a JG, looked at the 73's and saw that more desirable features were available in 72, so I found one and went for it and managed to hold on to the 79. Very pleased I hung out for this period 4001. Best of luck, oh I think my NBDay thread is down the line somewhere.

Just out of curiosity, how do the necks on the earlier basses compare?  My 78 (RH s/n) is 1 11/16" wide at the nut, and about 7/8" deep around the first fret.  Are the older necks still as slender as this?  or chunkier?

I almost bought a BG instead of this one, but this was by far the best of the bunch.  I had got a flyer in the mail from Rockin' Robin guitars in Houston, TX (lived there at the time- somewhere ~86) and they were blowing out their 4001s for $250/ea! (still a lot to me at the time).  Went in the back room and they had 'em on stands on the floor in a flying-v formation.  Maybe 12-15 basses, IIRC.  Played every single one of them and just went for what felt the best to me!  Having been a Squire/Geddy/McCartney fan, I was thrilled!  They were probably clearing them out to make room for pointy Kramers ;D  Ah the 80s...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
I think my NBDay thread is down the line somewhere.

Just saw that!  Beautiful bass - that's exactly what I'd like to get my hands on  8)