Author Topic: 1966 NR Thunderbird - searching for info and opinions  (Read 4988 times)

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
1966 NR Thunderbird - searching for info and opinions
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:40 AM »
Hello……. aeeh…again!

Seems like a lifetime since I logged on to this great forum. But after I getting a new house, new car, new girlfriend, new band and bla bla bla I am finally back in the “bass business” again. Yeah yeah I hear ya, about time!!

I would like to ask you T-bird freaks about a 1966 Thunderbird sold at Chicago Music Exchange a while back. I have searched the forum already, but can’t find any topic about this bass. (But I notice some strong opinions about CME   ;) )

You can see a small pic of the bass on their recent sale page.
http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pages/Recent-Sales.html

It’s a 1966 Non-Reverse. It’s been refinished. Bridge is replaced. Tuners replaced. Some breaks in the pickguard. I also suspect it’s been refretted, rewired and that the strap buttons has been replaced. Covers are missing.

OHSC included, fair condition but one lock is broken.

So, have you t-bird gurus seen this bass before, do you know anything about it? And what do you think is a reasonable price?

Cheers

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: 1966 NR Thunderbird - searching for info and opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:16:58 AM »
 Way over priced imho. Over the winter there were two original finish unbroken Thundebird IIs on ebay that went for around 2k. Of course CME is renowned for their optimistic pricing. Vintage prices have taken a bit of a dive latley. I think fair  pricing would be $1,200-$1,500 , I'd pay closer to 1,200 than 1,500.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:56:23 AM »
Hi GOT, thanks for your comment.

I have no idea what the seller paid CME for this bass. It seems like he expect to sell it for something close to $3500. Way overpriced in my opinion as well.

Since it’s now sold “locally” the shipping cost will be very low compared to overseas shipment and customs fees is not an issue, I was actually thinking about a bid close to $2000. Still, maybe too much...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:20:52 AM »
So let me get this straight. It is now available where you are (Europe?)  2k is more than I would pay but if you REALLY want it I don't think it's super over priced but it is on the high end. You also have to take into consideration availability, this one is already close to you so as you said shipping and customs isn't a issue.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:22 AM »
Oh, sorry! Yes it’ available in Europe, Norway to be precise :)

I must admit that when I first noticed this bass I did not like the colour at all, even if I think the gold Jack Casady epi looks gorgeous. I have been staring at the pictures quite a lot now I really start to like it. Not sure if the colour suits me though :) If I can’t live with it and since it’s already a refin it would not brake my heart to give it another colour.

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »
Here's a few pic of the actual bass

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:29:16 AM »
Is it really a Gibson?
The edges of the body look kinda sharp to me. Shouldn't they be rounded off more?
The pickup looks non original too. The radius of the edge looks too sharp in that pic you posted.
The serial number is in a strange location.
The tail of the pickguard looks a little blunt in the pic.

Did someone pimp a BaCHbird?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:15 AM »
The pickup is correct IMO. 70's have a bigger radius edge, cheaper to do than the very sharp 60s edge.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:22:34 AM »
Is it really a Gibson?
The edges of the body look kinda sharp to me. Shouldn't they be rounded off more?
The pickup looks non original too. The radius of the edge looks too sharp in that pic you posted.
The serial number is in a strange location.

My '69 has a very sharp radius on the body edge, nothing like my '67. This gold one does seem to have a sharp radius......................it is cause for concern but it could be legit. The pg looks trimmed down, the tail is to short. I am thinking the tip broke off, very common the screw is right at the end and the hole goes very close to the edge of the guard. I bet it was trimmed when the bass was refinished. No cover hole or a hole where the tail of the pg would be.

Tyrellp34

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
Thanks for all the great comments.

Headstock front and body back side. Guess the back side pics confirms that it’s not a Bachbird pimp? (Or someone has put a lot of effort to the back cover).

My '69 has a very sharp radius on the body edge, nothing like my '67. This gold one does seem to have a sharp radius......................it is cause for concern but it could be legit. The pg looks trimmed down, the tail is to short. I am thinking the tip broke off, very common the screw is right at the end and the hole goes very close to the edge of the guard. I bet it was trimmed when the bass was refinished. No cover hole or a hole where the tail of the pg would be.

Guess you are right, seems like the pg has been trimmed and the hole filled. Guess also the original tuner screw holes where filled before the refin.

Other comments/opinions on the serial number location?

Yeah and by the way, pots date are -65 and -66

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:52:42 PM »
My '69 and '67

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:00:40 PM »
I soooo remember you proudly showing that mojo babe off, you lucky fella... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »
What's with the reversed Badbird on the '69?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
 The studs were moved forward on the '69 bass, the holes have been filled and false grained. Good eye Carlo! The '67 as I got her  :rolleyes: she is doing much better now :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
Nice!