Author Topic: New basses for Jack Bruce  (Read 6747 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: New basses for Jack Bruce
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »
I reviewed the Star Bass and in my humble opinion one of the better basses I reviewed. The normal Star has the same singlecoils and the new singlecut has the humbuckers.

Within a couple of months I reviewed the long scale Star and the long scale Gretsch White Falcon Bass. Both sound very tight, very HUGE. I think the Star is an awesome combination of oldskool 60s sounds, the tightness of a long scale bass and also with a bit of Warwick growl.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
Wonder what kinda neck-dive that thing has, I bought a long-scale Epi EB-3 a few years back but quickly sold it, the neck-dive from putting a long-scale bass neck on a guitar-sized body is a bad idea.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »
Couldn't be any more unbalanced than his Warwick Thumb.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
the neck-dive from putting a long-scale bass neck on a guitar-sized body is a bad idea.

Yeah, those Thunderbirds were a really bad idea :-)
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 09:15:22 PM »
Wonder what kinda neck-dive that thing has, I bought a long-scale Epi EB-3 a few years back but quickly sold it, the neck-dive from putting a long-scale bass neck on a guitar-sized body is a bad idea.

My experience exactly with the EB-3.  Long scale neck on EB-body = imbalance.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »
I remember the interview he did around the time of the Cream 'reunion' where he said he was finished with short scales and he had actually brought the Gibson EB bass along for the ride and the sense you get from the interview was that he did not realize(or just plain blanked it out of his mind) it was in fact a short scale. In listening to those recordings I much preferred the sound of the Gibson as opposed to the Warwick. On the Robin Trower collaboration he did 3 years ago you can definitely hear the Gibson EB in all it's glory in a studio setting.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 03:19:59 AM »
On the Robin Trower collaboration he did 3 years ago you can definitely hear the Gibson EB in all it's glory in a studio setting.

He played the EB-1 live with Trower also ........ Here's some footage on YouTube from when they recorded the live CD .....

Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »
I remember the interview he did around the time of the Cream 'reunion' where he said he was finished with short scales and he had actually brought the Gibson EB bass along for the ride and the sense you get from the interview was that he did not realize(or just plain blanked it out of his mind) it was in fact a short scale. In listening to those recordings I much preferred the sound of the Gibson as opposed to the Warwick. On the Robin Trower collaboration he did 3 years ago you can definitely hear the Gibson EB in all it's glory in a studio setting.

IIRC he said that he wouldn't go back to the EB-3 as he regarded it as almost a toy. It's hard to imagine that he wouldn't know that the EB-1 is short scale.

In any case, he's been mainly a long scale guy for 30 years or more.

Chaser001

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 12:41:12 PM »

Considering how big the headstock is on an Epi EB-O or EB-3, I'm not surprised that there is neck-dive, whether it is long scale or short scale. 

Chaser001

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 12:44:47 PM »
I looked and was unable to find anything about prices for the Jack Bruce CRB. 

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »
Warwick REALLY needs to try some new headstock designs.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 02:10:06 AM »
I have to say they are instantly recognizable... That's quite good. From a distance it's hard for me to see if someone's playing Epi or Gibson. There are too many Fender clones....

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
I don't particularly love warwicks , although i own a few.....  but i actually like the headstock and the tilted tuners....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Chaser001

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
This is one Warwick I'd actually love to have. 

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
the one they did a few years ago looked awesome and sounded great but weighed twice as much as my T-40! but that one was a crazy sandwich of different woods this one is all 'hog, so it should be lighter
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES