Author Topic: Uwe's Shortie T-Bird  (Read 9388 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Uwe's Shortie T-Bird
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
If it is a vintage piece ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »

Oh, it's well worn in!  ;D

No relicing, just honest wear and tear............. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
 :popcorn:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »
See what you missed, Chris. Shame on you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbXYntSSuLg&feature=related

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 07:23:22 AM »
From precipitation-prone regions, a little Bird was brought to me today ... Danke schön, Fräulein Easter Bunny - dare I ask for a seasonal snapshot with furry ears?

First impressions:

- Alas, it looks like a toy! Everything (not just the neck) looks smaller and thinner. I held the body against a grown-up TBird in disbelief, the Hobbird's body is as large and even thicker (due to lack of wings trimmed down to slip into the center block), but the optical illusion is to the contrary.

- I can finally endlessly noodle pentatonic runs in the 17th-19/20th fret region without limitations on a Rev TB!! Be afraid, be very afraid ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 07:28:37 AM »
I all ready sold mine..........................made 200 bucks :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »

Bitte schon Herr Moderator!

Many, many thanks for letting me act as your agent here in the States for the purchase.
At this point I'm quite jealous that the 'Bird got to leave Seattle's wet, cold climate, it has been winter here for the past 18 months....... I really enjoyed the Little 'Bird and will share my thoughts and some pics soon, my impressions are generally favorable and I think they'll be a rather sought after bass.

With my white '89.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
 A collectors item to be sure, sound wise live it was a let down. My Fender Musicmaster sounds way better.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
Ouch!!!

Hornisse

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:12 AM »
Er sagte das f-Wort im Gibson Forum!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
Yes he did. Ostfront beckons.

Given tomorrow's religious holiday we could also do a little bolt-on with him on a maple, ash or alder cross, well-dried? And blame some Italian in the aftermath for washing his hands. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 01:09:45 PM »
Looks can be deceiving: It doesn't sound like a toy. It's a TBird sound alright - with a litte SG RI mixed in there. Barks and belches. Forward positioning of neck pup giveth what the short scale might otherwise take away in ooomph. Exceedingly quick neck which will either impress your bandmates or have them ask to "bring a long scale with you next time".  :mrgreen: E string is forceful (for a short scale, of course the long scale harmonics aren't there), D and G jump at you (as they should on a short scale), full and with endless sustain. Better upper register accessability really invites overactive playing on this bass. Great to noodle with at home.

No ghost notes or weird harmonics.

The short scale looks silly on me, but that I knew before.

Scott, what did you do to the poor Hobbird to make it sound bad?  ???

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
Er sagte das f-Wort im Gibson Forum!

Uwe and Robert... [scornful] I fully endorse Scott's use of the F-Word, in fact, I was clearly advised shortly after being invited here that use of the word Fender was a perfectly acceptable on this forum... shame be upon you both for being so Fenderist... [/scornful]  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
Looks can be deceiving: It doesn't sound like a toy. It's a TBird sound alright - with a litte SG RI mixed in there. Barks and belches. Forward positioning of neck pup giveth what the short scale might otherwise take away in ooomph. Exceedingly quick neck which will either impress your bandmates or have them ask to "bring a long scale with you next time".  :mrgreen: E string is forceful (for a short scale, of course the long scale harmonics aren't there), D and G jump at you (as they should on a short scale), full and with endless sustain. Better upper register accessability really invites overactive playing on this bass. Great to noodle with at home.

No ghost notes or weird harmonics.

The short scale looks silly on me, but that I knew before.

Scott, what did you do to the poor Hobbird to make it sound bad?  ???
I ran it through a Hiwatt. I was satisfied with my purchase until I used it in a band setting, there it's short comings became glaringly evident. Pickup location is the culprit.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »
Uwe and Robert... [scornful] I fully endorse Scott's use of the F-Word, in fact, I was clearly advised shortly after being invited here that use of the word Fender was a perfectly acceptable on this forum... shame be upon you both for being so Fenderist... [/scornful]  ;D

We lied back then as we sometimes do now. For the benefit of all.

As a member/subject of the Commonwealth this example will help you understand, Kenneth:  Imagine the Southern tip of Africa twenty years ago. The geographical region is called South Africa. That is the Bass Outpost. There is the Republic of South Africa. That is the Gibson Forum. And there is the Fender Forum. That is the Transkei or some other homeland. All basses are created equal, but some are even more equal, ok?

Will you now stop being Nelson Mandela?!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

For the (un)usual avoidance of doubt: None of this was meant in earnest. Bass apartheid is almost as bad as racial apartheid. South Africa was a vile system. Nelson Mandela a great man. But the F-word is still verboten!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: