Author Topic: Some Comments from Houston Bassists  (Read 3228 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Some Comments from Houston Bassists
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:46 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
What a bunch of whiners!  I'm a firm believer in, 'You get to play with who you deserve.'  If nobody appreciates your massive talent, play with yourself. ;D

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:17:25 PM »
What a bunch of whiners!  I'm a firm believer in, 'You get to play with who you deserve.'  If nobody appreciates your massive talent, play with yourself. ;D

+1

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »

I would like to whole heartedly agree with this comment, however I fall into the guilty section of agreeing with some of them. Especially the "mike my amp" part.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
"I may spend hours building awesome, complementary basslines and even throw in some solos, and nobody notices because it's not some wanking, squealing guitar solo."

Boo f***ing hoo.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
"I may spend hours building awesome, complementary basslines and even throw in some solos, and nobody notices because it's not some wanking, squealing guitar solo."

Boo f***ing hoo.

aww c'mon Dave you know that was really a guitarist who was forced to change to playing bass.  :mrgreen:
Digresion our specialty!

Chaser001

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
I would like to whole heartedly agree with this comment, however I fall into the guilty section of agreeing with some of them. Especially the "mike my amp" part.

I definitely agree with that one, too, and the one about people being wrong to think that it's easy to sing lead and play bass at the same time. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
bassplayers are as big a cry babys as anyone else in a band. nobody is special. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »
A bad sound guy can be a problem for anyone in the band, especially the bassist. OTOH I've seen bassists complain about not being heard when they've cut out all the mids they can with their active preamps and then topped it off with a smiley face EQ on their amps.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »

Wait a minute! I'm talented at playing with my........ :gay:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »
I've taught many an idiot knob twiddler/erstwhile "soundguy" that I control my volume and if they want to play war with it, I will win. The other stuff just sounds third rate guitar players whining because they can't handle playing bass. ...crying about songwriting and bass solos: boo f$cking hoo indeed!  :rolleyes:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:57:31 AM »

Oh boy, does that one ring true! I had one sound guy say that if he had his way there would be no bass amp on the stage. "I can give you everything you need through the side fills."
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
I've taught many an idiot knob twiddler/erstwhile "soundguy" that I control my volume and if they want to play war with it, I will win. The other stuff just sounds third rate guitar players whining because they can't handle playing bass. ...crying about songwriting and bass solos: boo f$cking hoo indeed!  :rolleyes:

I always mix my sound for the room.  It's second priority what I hear on stage.  I've been pretty good over the years.  I used to have a 50 ft. cord, and a good sound man way back when.  We always worked together to get the sound right, and I always stood as far from my amp as I could during sound check.  I miss those days.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »
No one has ever accused me of not being heard. And the guitarist whose solo can blend out my bass playing in listeners' attention has yet to be born. It's the thing I always hear at auditions: "Wow, you really make a difference in our sound." Not everybody likes that though, but enough people do.

And there is one great Sting quote about the subtle power of bass and that is: "If the band plays a chord, I get to determine with what I play whether the listener hears it as A minor or C major." Right on. Guitarists tend to be utterly confounded by this.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:22:18 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...