Author Topic: The Police  (Read 5265 times)

Chaser001

The Police
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »
I was never really much of a Police fan.  Their music was something I could take or leave.  Suddenly, I'm finding myself not being able to get enough of their music.  Plus, I'm wanting to learn the bass to everything that Sting plays. 

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: The Police
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »
....... Plus, I'm wanting to learn the bass to everything that Sting plays. 

Um, I think that professional help is in order ;) ;D

Chaser001

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
Um, I think that professional help is in order ;) ;D

If you're talking about how easy it is, that is true.  But it looks fun and it's something I've almost ignored to this point. 

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:25:52 PM »
easy or difficult means little as long as the bass part works. lots of folks believe otherwise imo
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Chaser001

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:38:47 PM »
easy or difficult means little as long as the bass part works. lots of folks believe otherwise imo

I agree.  I want something that works, something that is melodic and adds something to the song.  Not bass which is unmelodic and complex just for the sake of being complex.  I'm really liking the melodic bass lines that Sting plays and the odd timing.  There is something about this that I really identify with.  It's strange that it has taken me so long to appreciate his bass playing. 

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:40:25 PM »

I am of the same opinion on both accounts. If it serves the song I'm happy with it. While Sting's Police playing is a bit idiosyncratic, it fits the band and the songs quite well. I had a two or three year run in the late 80's after their heyday where I sort of discovered the Police and listened to them a lot. Not so much since but I can still appreciate their stuff (so long as I don't have to hear Mr. Sumner speak at all).

Edit: Chaser, you beat me to the punch while I was writing!  ;)

Hornisse

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:32:35 PM »
They were a great live band as well.  I saw them here in Austin during the Ghosts In The Machine tour.  Sting was playing his Steinberger L2.  I listened to Zenyatta Mondatta non stop during my sophomore year in college.  Those 5 LP's they released are all great IMHO.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:50 AM »
Police are kinda hit or miss for me, but some stuff I love - like this:

No doubt Sting can play, and I could only hope to turn on a top 40 station nowadays and hear something that piques my interest like this.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »
Police are kinda hit or miss for me, but some stuff I love - like this:

No doubt Sting can play, and I could only hope to turn on a top 40 station nowadays and hear something that piques my interest like this.

This is my fav song of theirs too! Sting's brilliant.
Stew is an AMAZING drummer too!
Both their autobiographies are good!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »
I was aware of them from very early on, even seeing them just just after Fall-Out was released (supporting Spirit, of all things - talk about mismatch - the prog advertised the imminent release of Roxanne) - I have not really followed their post Police careers... I do rate Stewart Copeland as a player though...

If you want to try "The Police" without Mr Sumner, try this, vox by Stan Ridgeway...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 05:47:18 AM »

That's the same school I went to ;D.
As for Police music, I can't remember if I liked Roxanne before the Movie 48 Hours or not, but in any event, Eddie Murphy definately ruined it for me forever >:(.
Rick

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:27:20 AM »
Early on I absolutely loved the police.  Sort of drifted away for various reasons.  Actually saw them the first night they played in the states.  Stewart is a real player and Sting's ability to sing and play in odd timings is really his talent.  His parts, though simple, just worked perfectly in the songs.  Andy was rather weak.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 08:32:35 AM »
 The Police?  :bored: Just my humble opinion. Saw them in '85 I can't say it was the best concert I ever saw.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:14:34 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »
Huge Police fan. It took until their third album, and suddenly my ears opened up to what they were doing. Great drumming, great guitar textures, cool, sparse, angular, and identifiable bass lines, AND catchy pop hooks. Lots of subtle prog elements too by then. I DO blame Sting for my mullet though. LOL! Saw them in 82 and it was one of the most high energy shows I'd ever seen. They did it right - 5 great albums and OUT! Their reunion tour DVD is great too.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:31:08 AM »
  Let me add I still have a day job so what do I know? Just never my cup of tea. Besides I'm digg'n on Black Oak Arkansas right now  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird