Author Topic: Mahogany basses  (Read 1585 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Mahogany basses
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:34:53 PM »
I have a chance to get a mid-80's Peavey Patriot bass that has a Mahogany body/Maple neck.
It's a passive bass with one Super-Ferrite pickup just slightly past the mid position (towards the bridge).
I don't own any, nor have I ever played a bass made from Mahogany - what can I expect?
Is Mahogany characteristically similar to any other wood in this configuration?

The reason I ask is because I have other opportunities to get a Patriot with a Maple body & Neck (like my Foundation) but I'm having a tough time deciding.  Both basses would be purchased without playing them.

Thanks for any insight.
Ack
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Mahogany basses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
An all maple bass will be snappier and more focused. More treble and bass, less blurry mids than a maho body. Maho sounds warmer, less attack and perhaps a bit more musical. With an all maple bass you will hear yourself and be heard even in less than optimal acoustic surroundings. An all maple bass can be too harsh for some (Rics are mostly maple) and a blessing for others. A maho body/maple neck combo is a classic "best of both worlds", warmth of maho, i.e. not too snappy, focus of maple, i.e. not too blurry. A rock player's bass who doesn't want to dominate, yet be heard. It's a combination many Asian basses of better quality have, but Gibson played with it in the seventies and eighties too (before returning to full maho on most of their basses).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
I was running the same pup in the same position (bridge) in my (all maple - "crisper" sounding - set neck) RD and my (all maho - "rounder" sounding - through neck) PC and the sounds produced were most enjoyable to these ears...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »
My fanfret may look like a Precision, but I believe the body is mahogany.  At least that's what it said when I got it.  It's a great sounding bass.  And, it's VERY warm.  The Lollar doesn't hurt, either.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »
Thanks for all the input - I've already PM'd the guy with the Mahogany Patriot - hopefully, it will be in my hands in a week or so.

After reading some of your replies and visiting the Warmouth site (detailing wood characteristics), I went upstairs and A/B'd several basses made out of different woods.  I tried to EQ them to be as similar as possible. 

I never knew that there was THAT much of a difference between a Northern Ash/Maple/Rosewood, an Alder/Maple and a Maple/Maple/Rosewood bass. The difference is astounding, but spot on with what I've been reading about different wood characteristics.

I know my "test" is completely flawed in most people's eyes, but it's cool to be able to transfer some of the stuff I'm learning into a fun way to get better at all this.
Thanks for the help.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.