Author Topic: Billy Sheehan bass solo  (Read 8456 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Billy Sheehan bass solo
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:58:09 PM »
 I am not much on solo's but I used to go see Billy in Talas back in the 70's and 80's. This is a good example of what I remember. I wish they had some examples of his playing in cover songs, they did some great renditions of tunes anything from the Supremes to the Who !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

Re: Billy Sheehan bass solo
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
I saw him at a bass clinic at the old Mars Music here in Austin several years back.  Took my Dad with me.  He was very approachable and answered all of the questions I had for him.  I remember getting Sink Your Teeth Into That on vinyl!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:02 PM »
Well, don't I feel just a little inadequate!  I didn't realize he was that good.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
I saw him at a bass clinic at the old Mars Music here in Austin several years back.  Took my Dad with me.  He was very approachable and answered all of the questions I had for him.  I remember getting Sink Your Teeth Into That on vinyl!

I saw him at a clinic at Mars when they were open, and that's exactly how he was.  I'm amazed at how LITTLE he moves both his hands and fingers.   He's got them all perfectly synched.  And, he replied to an email I sent him after the clinic.  He's pretty funny, too.  What wow'd us was when he decided to show us how he put both the bass and sax parts for "21st Century Schizoid Man" together.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
 Some bits from '79  Stop In The Name Of Love is in there!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
Well, don't I feel just a little inadequate!  I didn't realize he was that good.
You and me both ! I started going to the Arcade very young I am guessing the first time I saw Billy I was 16 as I know I had my Hofner and Traynor YBA-1 with the 1x18 bottom. I just stood there in awe..........................it was like I didn't even play the same instrument and he had come down from a distant planet the only thing not in evidence was a space ship. All the flash aside one thing I remember is he always held the song together, never let it drop, I found that very impressive.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 01:59:50 PM by godofthunder »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
Kind of reminds me of the night I watched Jack Bruce from 20 feet away (WB&L concert).  I went home and wanted to throw rocks at my bass.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
Kind of reminds me of the night I watched Jack Bruce from 20 feet away (WB&L concert).  I went home and wanted to throw rocks at my bass.
I pretty much felt the same way but I stuck with it I'm no Billy Sheehan but I'm Scott Dasson and I am ok with that. I am more than greatfull to Billy for opening my eyes to what the bass can do.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
Some bits from '79  Stop In The Name Of Love is in there!

Gotta love those local '70s production values! Not too sure about that "See Saw" song...

But I was really into Billy Sheehan when I discovered him in the mid-'80s, post-Talas though I did have a vinyl copy of "Sink Your Teeth Into That". NV43345 (the bass solo) was the best part of that album in my opinion. But I've never seen footage of them from that far back - thanks!

Oh yeah, one more thing, a friend of mine had a DVD of one of the first "Bass Day" things (I think that's what it was called - I think Dave Pomeroy put it together?). At the end all the bass players jammed together, I seem to remember Tony Levin, Oteil Burbridge, Dave Pomeroy, probably a couple of others, and Billy Sheehan. Billy's solo was the best of the bunch! Everyone else sounded like they were noodling, Billy's was the only one with passion and fire. I remember being really impressed with that.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 04:59:24 AM »

These ones, Harry...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
I made it through about three minutes of that before I started wishing that Gene would come out from behind the drumset and spit blood. One phrase comes to mind: "Where's the beef?"
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:37:51 AM »
ditto. was there a rule that you can't play below the 12th  fret.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:44:11 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
But I was really into Billy Sheehan when I discovered him in the mid-'80s, post-Talas though I did have a vinyl copy of "Sink Your Teeth Into That". NV43345 (the bass solo) was the best part of that album in my opinion.

FYI/FYE:
Turn NV43345 (in digital lettering) upside down and backwards and you get "SHEEHAN". Likewise, the Talas live album, "Live Speed On Ice" has a solo called "7718 (3A17)". Do the same to that one and you have "(LIVE) BILL".
I have too much free time... ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:40:56 PM »
Nice one 317718...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 02:41:02 PM »
I caught him live a couple years back & there is pretty much nothing he can't do. I guess he does not slap though.
When he did hid solos, he did them accompanied by drums, which to me, was much more song like & structured. Still he's one of the greatest bass players ever like him or not. Really unique tone he has.