Author Topic: Holiday in Robe  (Read 1655 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Holiday in Robe
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:38 AM »
Had a great week down in the south east at Robe. Famous for its Crayfish/Lobster, Limestone cliffs, very large sand dunes and long gorgeous beaches. My parents pick a holiday house to fit the whole family once every 2 years and the lot of us pile down there and spend a week together. Last time it was the very remote Baird bay over on the west coast of South Australia. This year it was the beautiful town of Robe.
Australians have quite a flair for naming things ie The great Sandy desert, The snowy mountains, The southern Ocean. We have managed to once again show our creative talents naming the beach at Robe, Long Beach. I think its about 7kms long. On one morning I managed to run 3.5kms but most mornings 3 was the best I could do. Based on this measurement I would guess it to be twice as .... Long..  8)

After my (sometimes our) run, Nicholas and I would jump into the surf. Me to cool off, him to get his body boarding skills up to scratch.
I know as parents we are all supposed to be proud of our kids but at age 6 this little guy constantly amazes me.
Cath was on the beach with camera in hand to catch this one.

More pics tomorrow

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Holiday in Robe
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »
Looks wonderful (while it's freezing here) Wish I were there. Nice quality time with your son.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »
Looks like fun!
It's been many years since I've been to a beach, I need to fix that!
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
Sounds greats and the water looks fantastic!

I live about twenty miles from the beach and see it fairly frequently too - but it's Galveston and, trust me, it aint never been that nice ;)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:19:46 AM »
I dont know Galveston except for the song about it  :)

This pic is taken from the Ocean road looking towards the beach. Just over that big sand dune in the distance. Everything is quite green from all the rain we've had recently.

Moonrise over the bay at Robe.

This beach is about an hours drive by 4WD through the dunes. No other way here.

My Mum on the beach

Lots of Crayfish and Abalone (not sure what its called in other parts except NZ where they call it Paua) here. A seafood feast was had most nights.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:26:43 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08:30 AM »
Beautiful.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 08:50:05 AM »
Galveston has it's moments but is not in any way like those pics - I'm envious.  The water is murky and brown most of the time - I've seen it clear just a few times in my life.  The nicest beaches in Texas run the last 100 miles to Mexico.

Galveston's real claim to fame is the great storm of 1900.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:00:20 AM by Lightyear »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:18 AM »
Galveston's real claim to fame is the great storm of 1900.

And the Balinese Room.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
And the Balinese Room.

Forgot gambling and the mob!

".........I remember Ruby!"   Yes, back when the Litttle Ol' Band from Texas was in their prime!  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 01:04:03 PM »
Forgot gambling and the mob!

".........I remember Ruby!"   Yes, back when the Litttle Ol' Band from Texas was in their prime!  ;D

What about Gaido's?  Did they replace the crab after the last storm?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 05:55:40 PM »
I'm intrigued by Galveston now. Is that healthy?

More pics:

Digresion our specialty!

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
What about Gaido's?  Did they replace the crab after the last storm?

Nope!  The crab survived just fine and they reopened fairly quick.  Most of the damage to the city of Galveston was done by the the storm surge and flooding - most of the island had five to eight feet of water on it - probably a rare pokcet that stayed dry.  The west end of Galveston island ( past the seawall built after the great storm ) got pounded by surf and tidal action - hundreds of beach houses trashed or badly damaged.

Most of the damage, destruction and death was east of Galveston proper on the Bolivar penisula.  This was the east side of the hurricane, highest storm surge, winds, etc.  Hundreds of houses were literally scrubbed from the face of the  - the before and after shots are staggering.  Idiots tried to ride the storm out in their houses, the authorites told the morons that stayed to write their social security numbers on their forearm to help with identification of the bodies, this, unfortunately, was needed.  The coast guard was rescuing people off their roofs by helicopter until shortly before the outer band made land fall.

Bret, sorry for the hijack.  Your pics are spectacular and your bird shots are very well done.  Are you a closet birder by chance? ;)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
We call them "twitchers" over here... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »

Bret, sorry for the hijack.  Your pics are spectacular and your bird shots are very well done.  Are you a closet birder by chance? ;)

Not a problem. Have you seen my footnote  ;)

I do take an interest in birds of the feathered variety but I dont sit in fields waiting for rare varieties to make fleeting appearances.    ....not that there is anything wrong with that... :o :)
Digresion our specialty!

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
damn brett that looks lovely there!fine surfing skills there too from nicholas.my 8 year old boy was determined to stand up on his body board ,not quite though. we had 2 weeks at waiterere north of wellington(west coast) and a week and half at whangatmata in the coromandel (east coast) ALMOST GOT A SUNTAN.warm water and cold beer.mmmmmm.
Louder bass!.