Author Topic: It's back... (Don't you all want to know how George's SG long scale sounds?)  (Read 13289 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
"nice pay back for the gorgeous desert at the Italian restaurant"

One of the few things we could always rely on with our Axis Partners!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Oh, man, now I see it was one big set up of you and the Italians to get those rings!

To quote the Italian in 'Allo 'Allo: What a mistake-a to make-a!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Next time be careful when a german lawyer takes you to an italian restaurant for dinner.

Lawyers + mafia = not a good sign!  ;D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Well, to say something positive about Uwe for once:

I think we drunk five bottles of very nice red wine and we were with four of us, including Uwe.... And still he let us touch and play all his basses. Because of ze wine intake I thought Ze Köllëktiön excisted of eight-strings only;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Chris is fishing for compliments: The Dutch crowd in my office was utterly well-behaved, suitably awed, played all instruments with great taste, skill and aplomb (there was only a little slapping!  :mrgreen: ), quickly developed strong emotional ties to some of my instruments (a fair-haired young man named Maarten made love with my hollowbody EB-6) ... it was all very romantic really! Völkerverständigung, jawohl!

Herr Dekker, why do we have no link to the de Bassist article here?! 

Uwe

PS: And of course we can repeat the exercise next year ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
I wasn't fishing for compliments but thanks! :)

Maarten and I still have this dialogue:
Maarten: 'Man, that EB6 was great!'
Chris: 'Yeah, and the blue nonrev!'
All the time! :D

I'll try to post something better soon, but this is from an earlier thread:

A repeat's always nice:) Next time I'll bring an empty case;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Played it at the rehearsal last night with fresh DR Black Beauty strings - it has a nice Gibsonesque sound in the modern mahogany school, think of a hybrid between a TBird and a Les Paul Bass. The E-string especially has huge authority even though the headstock is scarcely angled backwards, so there can't be much nut pressure. It's growly, yet has glistening highs and the bass frequencies have ooomph without being overbearing or "all over".

In many ways, this bass is what the SG-Z should and could have been. The very thick body all of the sudden makes sense when you play it - no other long scale SG body shape bass I've played balances and sits as well as this one. And the compared to an SG-Z fatter neck adds authority. Finally the no frills two pup set up of this bass is much more assertive than the SG-Z's misguided Z-pups & mini toggles sound maze with its castrated low frequencies which somehow are devoured by all the electronic trickery the latter has.

Makes you wonder whether this/George's "SG Bass" was a prototype they had lying around or was at least based on early SG-Z prototypes (before they messed around with the design) as the SG-Z was introduced/announced around the time of the make of this bass (1997) too.

Uwe

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Gorgeous bass! Congrats Uwe & sympathy to George!!

Hey Uwe~
How many basses does this make now? wow