Author Topic: It's back... (Don't you all want to know how George's SG long scale sounds?)  (Read 13288 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: It's back...
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 08:50:16 AM »

I never noticed; no fret markers either...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »
 I actually like the white one better because at least they are keeping the positioning close of the pic ups to the original. It just looks better to me.

With the Tbird pickups close to the TB position, I would assume that it will be like a TB (as they say)- LP which when you think about it, why not, since its pretty much the same idea of a Flat top Paul, but with bling!

The Cheryl Crow one always reminded me more of a Hybrid SB/SG than EB.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 09:08:14 AM »
I haven't bid yet, but that's only because bidding early just encourages other bidders to peck at it until they're the high bidder.

You probably already have this covered - but if not, this has been my partner in crime for years:  http://www.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

Good luck!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 10:39:14 AM »
Just make sure one of us gets it!!! So if prices haven't gone outside your ballpark by the end of the auction, add a hefty amount to your bid - if the end price is then too high for you (or if you don't like what you see and hear once you have it), I'll take it off you, promise. 
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
It is a cool bass, regardless its origins.  Sometimes simple is better and it has a very clean look that I admire.  Good luck George!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:37 PM »
I'm not in the market for it but if I were, I'd add a mudbucker at the neck. Just to balance karmic forces and appease Orville's ghost.  ;)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »
that is the bass i've been dreaming of for years.it's real.i wish i had some money.boo hoo.i hope one of you gets it.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rockinrayduke

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »
The Ghost Of Orville Must Be Appeased!!!!

;D ;)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »
Last time it was up (April 19th '07) it had the following in the description

"For sale is a used Gibson EB-3L SG Bass that was custom made for an artist in 1997. It was not made in the Gibson "Custom Shop" but it was special made in the regular production facility."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »
Thanks, Jules. I don't see how anything without a true neck pickup can be called an EB-3. But assuming the part about its origin is accurate, it's still a one-off even if it's not a prototype. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 11:53:28 PM »
 Thats one cool bass ! Good luck George !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 06:01:59 AM »
I don't see how anything without a true neck pickup can be called an EB-3.

No, I know what you mean, but the 'farm aid' SG reissue style bass that Sheryl Crow played was officially called an EB3 by Gibson at the time - see here (right near the bottom).

http://www.gibson.com/player/oct03/movesandgrooves.html

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:47 AM »
Thanks, Jules. I don't see how anything without a true neck pickup can be called an EB-3. 

Task, tsk, tsk, thousands of post 1971 EB-3 with the "middle" mudbucker have just been de-EB threed. A harsh and undeserved demotion I beg to differ.

The "3" in EB-3 never had any meaning other than that the slots for EB-1, EB-0 and EB-2 were already taken.

For me a classic EB-3 is defined by mudbucker, varitone, maho content and short scale, I consider long scale EBs of the late sixties and through the seventies an aberration and later long scale SG basses are just that: long scale SG shape basses.

The specimen George is after is still nice though. And if those are TB Plus and not SG-Z pups (which I believe), then bass should be sufficient. Dave's idea of implanting a mudbucker would be my gunshot EB-0L reversed. And while it is true that the mudbucker adds hovering deep frequencies, that gunshot EB-0L would still have balls with just the two TB Plus pups I had additionally implanted. No comparison to the meek bass output of an SG-Z.

Uwe

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:42:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 07:16:18 AM »
That's not what I meant. It doesn't have a big EB-style neck pickup. It doesn't have the look.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »
I like it because it doesn't have the "typical" look we're used to seeing.  Variety is the spice of life!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!